We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling with a four year old

chicago
Level Contributor
8,317 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
traveling with a four year old

Can someone point me in the right direction of a tour or cruise that's suitable for a child? I have no interest in a large cruise ship. I'm considering a last minute trip at the end of may. I know it will be cold, that's not a problem. If its really a bad time to go we can plan it another time. Thinking seven days.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,435 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling with a four year old

Would you open to renting a car and putting together your own trip based on recommendations that you'll get on this forum?

chicago
Level Contributor
8,317 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling with a four year old

If its easy, I haven't done any research, would it only be driving a regular car on regular roads? I don't feel comfortable doing any 4 wheel or off road driving

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,050 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling with a four year old

Read through a few trip reports in the top right hand corner........

I would think you and your child would have a lot better time by renting a car and having the flexibility to stop where you want and when you want......

No need for 4 wheel drive........the highways are paved and most car rental companies do not want you to take them off road.........

Narrow down which activities you want to do and that will help folks to make suggestions for where to go.......

We would also need to know which city you will be flying into and how many in your party ?

chicago
Level Contributor
8,317 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: traveling with a four year old

Any chance you can post a couple of those links here? The stickeys don't show up on the mobile version

It will just be the two of us and we can fly in to any airport

Interested in wildlife, pretty sites, short hikes (around a mile max)

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,529 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: traveling with a four year old

Here is the link to the previous years trip reports:

tripadvisor.com/…39805919

Driving is very easy, not too many roads. I think some of Hogfamilies reports might interest you. If you want to do a small boat cruise I have taken kids that age on the Resurrection Bay Cruise in Seward, it is shorter than the other cruises but we have always seen birds, otters and sea lions on this trip.You may also want to look into The Wildlife Conservation Center, The Alaska Zoo, The Seward Sealife Center, Portage Glacier, Independence Mine and Seavey's Iditadog. You may also want to check out the Iditarod Headquarters and see if they will have puppies around when you are visiting.I have visited these places with children that age and they have enjoyed it though I must admit at Independence Mine they seem more interested in the wild flowers and the marmots than at the history but they have fun.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,050 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: traveling with a four year old

Spacefry has some good suggestions and they would work easiest by flying into Anchorage and renting a your car there......

In addition I would recommend at least a few hours at Eagle River Nature Center just north of Anchorage...

http://www.ernc.org/trails-wildlife.html Lots of hands on learning for your child, some nice boardwalk trails and beaver ponds........

chicago
Level Contributor
8,317 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: traveling with a four year old

Fly to anchorage, train to Denali and train to seward? How many days to enjoy the three spots?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,957 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: traveling with a four year old

I would probably drive to Denali and take train to Seward. :)

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,375 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: traveling with a four year old

It really helps having a car at Denali - opens up more lodging and eating possibilities, not to mention having more opportunities to stop along the way. Seward is small enough that you can get by without a car (taxis are pretty inexpensive). But the drive south from Anchorage along Turnagain Arm would be nice - you can't stop on the train!

If you went to both Denali and Seward, a minimum of 7-8 days is needed. Figure arrival in Anchorage on Day 1, at least 2 nights at Denali, one night in Anchorage, at least 2 nights in Seward. That is 6 nights/7 days and you fly out very late the last night. Note that the train from Seward to Anchorage arrives about 10.15pm so you really can't have a flight out until about 1am the next morning.

If you wanted the train experience, I would probably spend two nights in Anchorage after Denail and use one day to drive south from Anchorage along Turnagain Arm to Potter Marsh, Girdwood, the Wildlife Conservation Center, etc.

10. Re: traveling with a four year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2014, 05:16