We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking in Alaska Advice?

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
757 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking in Alaska Advice?

Hey,

Okay - here goes... I will sound super stupid - I have NEVER hiked in my life. Best exercise I've done is indoors treadmill walking

Basically my mom and I (female) will be going on the following hike - the east trail

stepintoalaska.com/…

This will all happen in June 1... problem is... I'm not sure what to wear. I know no cotton and hiking shoes (what the company said would be okay... no need for boots). What about tops/pants?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking in Alaska Advice?

I would bring extra socks (wool or smart wool). Some type of hiking pants or travel pants that are synthetic will work and you might want to add a wind/rain pant. For a top I would layer a long sleeve shirt with fleece and a rain/wind jacket. You need to gauge your comfort level and decide if you will need long underwear and/or a hat and gloves. Layering is the key.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,800 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking in Alaska Advice?

Are you on a cruise? I am not sure i would ever sign up for a hike that didn't say where we are going. But most likely it is on the East Glacier Trail near Mendenhall, though I guess they leave it open in case they want to change it.

Layers and rain gear are key. The hike will take place unless it is absolutely downpouring, which is rare.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking in Alaska Advice?

Since you have never hiked, I would strongly suggest that you & your mom start walking every day, working up to the 4-5 miles mentioned for this hike!

Make sure yours & your mom's hiking shoes are well broken in.

I would probably carry a day pack with thermal shirt, rain jacket, hat & light gloves in case of a cold rain & water bottle.

Have fun!

Muncie, IN
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking in Alaska Advice?

denalicat, I have read on some other posts that you wear trail runners for hiking. (I have a pair and thought I would bring them for hiking) What type of socks do you wear with them? I have synthetic running socks and also smartwool socks--didn't know if one of these would be better than the other or if some other type of sock would work better.

Canandaigua
Level Contributor
727 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking in Alaska Advice?

I would try both while you are breaking in your shoes and see what you like.

I can't agree more with the poster who said start walking NOW.

My 75 yo parents met us in NZ last year and my mom had thought her golf walking and 10 minute flat street walking would prepare her. She found even slight hills and uneven terrain very difficult. And they are in "good shape".

It was an eye opener for her, and now they are walking three miles with some hills daily.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,130 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking in Alaska Advice?

This hike is described as "Moderate to Strenuous"....not a walk in the park......It also takes place in any kind of weather......there will be no turning back....not meaning to sound negative, but you need to prepare for it and have realistic expectations.....

If you are planning on doing this hike, start hiking today !......Find a nearby trail (unpaved) with some elevation changes, start with a mile and continue from there.......

Whatever footwear you choose will get wet and maybe muddy........avoid exposed tree roots on the trail, they are very slippery........the tour provides rain ponchos and hiking sticks (very helpful)........take a day pack for water and dry socks, camera, etc.........keeping your hands free will provide better balance........

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
12,345 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking in Alaska Advice?

Respect the comment an above poster made about hills. I used to hike regularly. I haven't been as good in the last year about my exercise regiment. I can walk just fine on a flat surface; but throw in a hill or "post-holing" in some snow and I'm exhausted very quickly.

You want to be able to enjoy the experience.

Good luck,

Scott

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking in Alaska Advice?

pkc12, wear smartwool-type or "thoro" padded hiking weight socks with my trailrunners for hiking, not thin synthetic athletic socks.

Edited: 11 May 2013, 00:30
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiking in Alaska Advice?

pkc12, I wear smartwool-type or "thoro" padded hiking weight socks with my trailrunners for hiking, not thin synthetic athletic socks.

Edited: 11 May 2013, 00:30
10. Re: Hiking in Alaska Advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2014, 05:16