We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenai Alaska in Two Weeks - Recommendations?

Chicago
Level Contributor
40 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Kenai Alaska in Two Weeks - Recommendations?

Hello! Four of us are taking a trip to Alaska in two weeks and I was wondering if anyone can help us with lodging recommendations and/or spots to eat. We also need to fill out the rest of our itinerary and we weren't sure if we should book ahead of time or if it's easy to book activities with companies once we're there?

May 31: Arrive in Anchorage late. Grocery haul. Hotel booked.

June 1: Drive to Seward. Stop in Girwood during the day. Arrive in Seward by night.

June 2: Either: Trip to Glaciers, Whale Watching, or Kayak Trip. Would love to do dog sledding but we heard there won't be snow in June for that, is that true?

June 3: Either: Trip to Glaciers, Whale Watching, or Kayak Trip.

June 4: Either: Trip to Glaciers, Whale Watching, or Kayak Trip. Can we just book these once we get to Seward or do you think we need to book ahead of time b/c places might fill up? Is there a place in Seward where you can just go and book all these things in person?

June 5: Make our way to Homer in the morning or leave the day before. Spend the day in Homer, no itineraries planned yet. Any recommendations?

June 6: Bear viewing in Homer (booked). Head to Soldotna and sleep there.

June 7: Fishing trip in Soldotna (booked).

June 8: Day in Soldotna. Drive back to Anchorage to sleep.

June 9: Check out Anchorage and fly home that night.

Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks so much!

Juneau Whale Watch
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Other Outdoor Activities
Gastineau Guiding Company - Juneau's Premier Guiding Company
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Other Outdoor Activities, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Boat Tours
Kenai Fjords Tours
Boat Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Harv and Marv's Outback Alaska
Boat Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,407 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kenai Alaska in Two Weeks - Recommendations?

No need to buy groceries in Anc as we have a nice Safeway in Seward. Also stores in Soldotna( Fred Meyer's & Safeway) Kenai ( Walmart & Safeway) and Homer ( Safeway)

You should be okay with last minute wildlife cruise bookings. You could take a combo kayaking/water taxi/boat trip.

What kind of lodging are you looking for?

Thorn's Showcase Lounge is my favorite restaurant. I love their halibut and daily specials.Salmon bake has a rustic Alaskan feeling for dinner.

Seward has 2 kennels offering tours and cart rides along with a helicopter/glacier dogsled experince if you want the real thing on snow.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kenai Alaska in Two Weeks - Recommendations?

For a start, here are some ideas for lodging in Seward depending on what type suits your group:

cmdev.seward.com/list/QL/where-to-stay-28.htm

Chicago
Level Contributor
40 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kenai Alaska in Two Weeks - Recommendations?

Thank you for the recommendation! We don't have a huge preference on lodging. we do have a car so we have mobility. We don't want anything too roughing it but it doesn't need to be a fancy hotel either. I think something that's convenient and with great views would be nice.

Are there some must see places in Seward that we should look into? Once we book the whale watching, kayak and glacier tours, I feel like our three days in Seward will be quite full, but we want to fit in other must see spots and/or activities too.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,922 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kenai Alaska in Two Weeks - Recommendations?

Homer has some great restaurants - Fat Olives, Café Cups, Capt Patties, Cosmic Kitchen and many, many more. Enjoy! :)

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kenai Alaska in Two Weeks - Recommendations?

The distance from Seward to Homer is about 175 miles. You pass through Soldotna which is around 75 miles from Homer. To drive to Soldotna to overnight after a day of bear watching makes no sense. The lodging in Homer beats Soldotna hands down (my opinion) and there are many hotel/motels and B&B to choose from. Fishing charters are many here. As for restaurants our favorite is the Homestead in beautiful downtown Fritz Creek (about 8 miles east of Homer)

coalminer - Cosmic Kitchen closes at 3 and not open for dinner

Edited: 20 May 2013, 16:34
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,922 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kenai Alaska in Two Weeks - Recommendations?

Yes k2iks - I realize Cosmic Kitchen is only open until early afternoon. :)

Oh - if you are going thru Soldotna early in the day, stop at the Moose is Loose - great bakery with cinnamon rolls to die for. :)

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kenai Alaska in Two Weeks - Recommendations?

As for Soldotna we like the pizza at St Eias Brewing Company. Located to the left as approach town, just before Fred Myer. They open at noon. Their beer is good too.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,922 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kenai Alaska in Two Weeks - Recommendations?

Oh yes, I agree with k2iks- good salads, pizza . . . probably one of the better places to eat in Soldotna. :)

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,756 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kenai Alaska in Two Weeks - Recommendations?

Welcome to the forum.

>>June 1: Drive to Seward. Stop in Girwood during the day. Arrive in Seward by night.

Take your time on this drive. Lots to do and see along Turnagain Arm besides just Girdwood.

>>June 2: Either: Trip to Glaciers, Whale Watching, or Kayak Trip. Would love to do dog sledding but we heard there won't be snow in June for that, is that true?

Check out the Seward forum or trip reports for ideas on who to book with. Best to book directly with the operators. The Kenai Fjords 6 hours or longer trips are with Major Marine or Kenai Fjords (the company). They stop at a glacier, but the emphasis is marine wildlife. No true whale watching or glacier trips in Seward, though you could see both. True glacier viewing trips are from Whittier (near Girdwood). Good kayaking from Seward.

>>June 5: Make our way to Homer in the morning or leave the day before. Spend the day in Homer, no itineraries planned yet. Any recommendations?

What are your interests? If you like hiking, I might consider booking a water taxi for the four of you and have them take you to Kachemak Bay State Park. Ask them about hiking to the glacier there. Or perhaps take a day boat tour to Gull Island and Seldovia.

>>June 6: Bear viewing in Homer (booked). Head to Soldotna and sleep there.

I trust you realize that bear viewing tours can often be canceled from Homer due to weather. Booking back-to-back tours leaves no room for rebooking. Also, I trust the bear viewing is on the Katmai NP coast. Early June is very early for bear viewing tours.

>>June 8: Day in Soldotna. Drive back to Anchorage to sleep.

This might be a good day to take the Prince William Sound glacier tour from Whittier if interested. But it means leaving early from Soldotna to make the tunnel in time for the tour.

Be at the airport 2 hours before departure to have time to return the car, check in and go through security.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,407 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kenai Alaska in Two Weeks - Recommendations?

Exit Glacier, Sealife Center and the new musuem are worthwhile in Seward.

Since you said there are 4 people, I'm guessing it's 2 couples. Harborview Inn has a 2 bedroom townhouse across the street from the beach on Balliaine ave for $230 a night, which is cheaper than 2 hotel rooms. Otterhouse, Adams St B&B and Seward Frontrow townhouse are also on the same street with great views of the bay.