We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice... which direction to head from Anchorage?

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Need advice... which direction to head from Anchorage?

We are a family of 4 (Mom, Dad, kids 14 and 16), heading to Alaska 6/27-7/6. Last time we were there was 10 years ago and we went north to Fairbanks and Denali. I have also been to Seward/Homer but it has been MANY years. Staying with my aunt in Anchorage for the first few days, then have an RV rented from 6/30-7/6. We plan to do day trips the first 2 days to Aleyeska and Palmer (love the reindeer and musk ox farms). Original plan was to go to Seward for July 4th. If we did this, would you suggest Denali for 2 days (I know my kids don't remember it) and then head all the way south for the rest of the time? Would it be too difficult to find a place to RV in Seward July 2-5? I was looking at the city campground which doesn't take reservations. Should we skip Denail? Enough to do South for 6 days? Any suggestions??? THX.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,853 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice... which direction to head from Anchorage?

If you don't have reservations for Seward or can't get them, I wouldn't try to go - that town is PACKED during the 4th. What activities do you prefer to do as a family? I think Seward & Homer are both great places, but so is Denali. But if you can't get reservations in Seward, I would try to avoid that area. Maybe figure out what activities you all want to do as a family and look at what is available in the areas you are interested in. If you headed north, you could take in the Matanuska glacier, Hatcher Pass, Talkeetna, Denali, etc. Just some thoughts . . . .

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,514 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice... which direction to head from Anchorage?

Unless you go to Seward right away and just stay there the entire time, it will be hard to get a camping spot at the waterfront campground. How about one of the private campgrounds? Have you tried those? Or just go to Seward first and Denali second. I hate crowds so that would definitely be my choice. June 30 to Seward, July 1 in Seward, July 2 to Talkeetna, July 3 to Denali, July 4 shuttle bus to Wonder Lake, July 5 return to Anchorage (depending on the time of your flight out and what time you need to get the RV back, you could spend the night of July 5 in Denali, Talkeetna or Eagle River).

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice... which direction to head from Anchorage?

I'm with fti on hating crowds, so I'd go with Seward first and get out of there before the crowds show up on the 3rd. With half the state in Seward, there'll be less traffic and people in Denali at that time. ;)

Homer, Alaska
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice... which direction to head from Anchorage?

definitely visit Alyeska and Glacier Valley. Hike to Burns Glacier. Fantastic hike

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice... which direction to head from Anchorage?

Thanks for the suggestions. When I first read about the Mt. Marathon race, I thought it would be a really fun thing to see and the festival in Seward looked like fun for the 4th. Since I was the only one who was really interested in it, we are going to reverse the order. We didn't have a set plan, only some fun things we wanted to do. This will be my 5th trip to Alaska and my husband's 3rd time so we have done some of the things before,but my kids don't remember a lot of things from their first trip. (They DO remember the mosquito baked into the cheese of a pizza we ordered in Denali! :o) ) My aunt said she'd pay if the kids want to paraglide off Aleyeska. They are all over that! The hand tram at Winner Creek looks awesome! But we've also learned that sometimes the things that aren't planned are the most memorable (like the mosquito pizza...........!)

6. Re: Need advice... which direction to head from Anchorage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2014, 06:19