We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska Independent Travel- Please Advise

Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
198 reviews
Save Topic
Alaska Independent Travel- Please Advise

My wife and I have been traveled to many places for 3 decades. However, we have never been to Alaska. We are very independent-minded travelers, and in Alaska, we would like to visit Glaciers, National Parks, and perhaps see some wildlife along the way.

We will appreciate any words of wisdom we could hear about must-see sites, best times to travel and avoid huge crowds, transportation from place to place, recommended hotels, restaurants, etc. We could travel for up to two weeks.

Thanks

Talkeetna Air Taxi
Air Tours, Taxis & Shuttles
Esther G Sea Tours and Taxi
Ferries, Taxis & Shuttles, Boat Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Kantishna Air Taxi
Air Tours, Taxis & Shuttles
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,924 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaska Independent Travel- Please Advise

When would you be planning to come - this summer or next? With two weeks, you will be able to explore lots! :)

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,756 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaska Independent Travel- Please Advise

A two week trip in the summer will allow you to see places like Kenai Fjords NP, Whittier/Prince William Sound (glaciers), Denali NP (wildlife and scenery), and then at least one more place like Homer or Fairbanks or Wrangell/St. Elias NP.

I assume you are OK with driving?

Another option is to visit Southeast Alaska but logistics in moving around makes it slower getting from place to place (usually by ferry or flight). You will end up seeing/doing more in southcentral Alaska with a pretty relaxed schedule.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,803 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alaska Independent Travel- Please Advise

It's very unlikely you'll encounter a "huge" crowd in AK; but there a few chances of it:

- at a cruise ship terminal

- Seward on July 4th

- Moose's Tooth (restaurant in ANC) on a weekend (Thu - Sun)

- Denali won't have "huge" crowds, but the shuttle buses can be booked solid

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Alaska Independent Travel- Please Advise

Hi,

See this full trip report with a lot of information.

tipter.com/trips/our-central-alaska-trip

port republic
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alaska Independent Travel- Please Advise

plan on the full two weeks, plan to fly RT into anchorage, book a rental car early and search often for a better rate. make sure you start putting together your itinerery with a map and drive time chart in front of you.

enjoy the research and planning, you'll find this forum to be very helpful as you develop your questions

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alaska Independent Travel- Please Advise

On the right side of this page is a topic list - look for the trip reports and see what others have done. The moer time you spend reading those, the more educated you will be about your trip. I'd also recommend purchasing a copy of either Frommers Alaska or Fodor's Alaska - or get a copy from your library. That can be a great resource for a start to your planning.

Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alaska Independent Travel- Please Advise

Thanks to all of you, I will keep your advice in mind when planning my trip.

Wildwood, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alaska Independent Travel- Please Advise

CAn this independent travel be as accessible in end of sept. I have a week off beginning 21 sept. WE cruised into Alaska last year at this time, and the weather was amazing and the scenery breathtaking...and we want to go again, but this time in another venue - so thinking independent travel.

9. Re: Alaska Independent Travel- Please Advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2014, 05:17