We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for advise on Seward Hwy

LA
13 posts
Save Topic
Looking for advise on Seward Hwy

We are traveling from Anchorage to Soldotna and spending 2 nights. We have 2 full days for sightseeing before we travel to Whitier for our cruise. I would appreciate any suggestions of must do things. Our first day we will drive to Soldotna and stop all along the way. The day we leave for the cruise at 6:30 pm I am wondering if we should travel to Seward and then travel on to Whitter.

Thank you for any advice

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,105 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for advise on Seward Hwy

First question is why you chose Soldotna. That might answer your question.

Few tourists spend two nights in Soldotna. Plus if you are already asking about Seward I suggest you reconsider your lodging Way more to do in/near Seward than Soldotna and you avoid all the back and forth transit time.

seward
Level Contributor
363 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for advise on Seward Hwy

Hi, I would echo fti. Seward has much more to do. Hikes, Exit Glacier, KFT Cruise, Sea Life Center, Fishing etc. etc. Boat Ak

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
527 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for advise on Seward Hwy

I've not been to Soldotna, but my wife and I just spent 2 days in Seward, It's a clean. neat little town. Lot's to do from viewing Exit Glacier, Visiting the old downtown area, to taking a wildlife cruise or just walking the quaint main street.

Before we left we drove thru the tunnel to Whittier. What a disappointment. I've not idea why so many cruise ships dock there, the place looks like a dump.

Medina, Ohio
Level Contributor
464 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for advise on Seward Hwy

We will also be taking this highway travelling from Anchorage to Seward on our trip before the cruise. Are there any campsites along the way where we can set up our tent? We will be spending a day or two visiting the Seward area before our departure from Whittier.

Edited: 02 June 2013, 03:43
Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,067 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for advise on Seward Hwy

roblox, There's the campground at Trail River: reserveamerica.com/camping/…

Medina, Ohio
Level Contributor
464 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for advise on Seward Hwy

Thanks. I checked out that camp site but they only have 2 tent sites and they are reserved. Maybe we would be better off pulling into a side road from the highway, and set up tent by the water somewhere? But I'm not sure how safe that would be, people and animal wise?

Medina, Ohio
Level Contributor
464 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for advise on Seward Hwy

Update... They did in fact have availability for 2 out of the 3 nights that we're staying, so i just booked it and we'll spend the last night somewhere else. Thanks for the recommendation.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for advise on Seward Hwy

roblox .. Seward has great tent camping right next to the ocean. 1st come basis/ no reservations

http://www.cityofseward.us/index.aspx?nid=864

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
527 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for advise on Seward Hwy

We had an RV this trip, but I noticed a couple different spots near the Bay in Seward dedicated to tents only. Also drive up the Exit Glacier Rd. There are unmarked boondock campsites all along that road. Just look for gravel turnouts.

Portage Glacier Rd also has unmarked boondock sights. There are two pay campgrounds also.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,570 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for advise on Seward Hwy

hoz49 - why do you consider Whittier a dump? Very few cruise lines use it as a port of debarkation, and it is much closer to Anchorage than Seward. The trip through the tunnel is an interesting experience, although not like the days when you drove onto a railroad flat car to go through it.

Two days in Soldotna would be better spent in Homer, as it is only 75 miles further.