We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late June/Early July tentative Intinerary.....any advice?

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Late June/Early July tentative Intinerary.....any advice?

2 adults/2 teens (14 and 16) Arrive in Anchorage June 27th, 7pm staying with my aunt

6/28 Poke around downtown Anchorage, Eagle Creek Visitors Center, Turnagain Arm Tide (hopefully Bore tide 8:36pm)

6/29 Aleyeska Tram and Paragliding Winner Creek Trail

6/30 Pick up RV at 10am, Drive to Seward, Sealife Center

7/1 Kenai Fjords Boat Trip (8a-2p), Hike Exit Glacier or Russian River Falls, dinner at Seward Brewing Co.

7/2 Dog Sled tour, walk around town, start drive to Denali, Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, Stay in Palmer

7/3 Reindeer and Musk Ox Farms, Independence Mine, Drive to Denali

7/4 Rafting in Denali

7/5 Denali Wildlife tour

7/6 Return RV by noon in Anchorage. Girdwood Forest Fair leave for home at midnight

Some days seem a little light. Thought of driving to Homer on the 2nd but then it's a long drive back towards Palmer and Denali. The only thing I have reservations for is the RV with tentative RV reservations in Seward (site available). Please help fill in the blanks! Been several times and have done gold panning already.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,348 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late June/Early July tentative Intinerary.....any advice?

What Denali tour are you on?

Am a bit puzzled by your last day - you are turning in your RV, so how do you get to Girdwood??

I would book your RV sites in Denali. :)

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,303 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late June/Early July tentative Intinerary.....any advice?

I assume you are renting a car after you return the RV so you can get to Girdwood? Seems like you are backtracking though. I assume it is so you can go to the Forest Fair.

>>7/4 Rafting in Denali

That won't take all day - usually 2-3 hours. I would book a shuttle bus into Denali NP this day either for a morning departure and do the rafting in the evening or do the rafting early and take a noon shuttle to Eielson.

>>7/5 Denali Wildlife tour

Not sure what this is either, but I would suggest a second day on the shuttle bus. I would book to Wonder Lake but decide the day of the trip if you will go that far or just turn around at Eielson.

Otherwise I like your itinerary.

Get the kids involved with some of the planning. I am taking a group of 15-17 year olds to Alaska tomorrow. They will have some say in the activities along Turnagain Arm for example. I will also give them a choice of hikes in Denali to choose from. The more the teens can be a part of the planning and decisions, the less resistance or "attitude" you will get from them. I love being involved with teens.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Late June/Early July tentative Intinerary.....any advice?

Oh....sorry for not mentioning this....we can use my aunt's car on the days we don't have the RV. The "wildlife tour" is the bus through Denali. Just didn't know what it was called. I don't know if I can get the kids to sit through 2 days on the bus! Are they still old school buses like they were in the 70s and 80s? That's the last time I did that tour! (The first time I was about 8 years old, the second time as a teenager.) I know the rafting only takes a few hours. That was one of the "holes" in my schedule. What else is there to do at Denali? As of today, there are campsites still available but I do want to book them in the next day or so.

We don't have to do the Forest Fair. It just seemed like something quirky and different to do that's not too far from my aunt's house in Anchorage and would fill the day that we fly home. Any other suggestions?

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,264 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late June/Early July tentative Intinerary.....any advice?

On 7/6: To be in Anchorage by noon, you'll be leaving Denali pretty early in the morning... It's 240 miles... I'd figure at least 6 hours, plus stops.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Late June/Early July tentative Intinerary.....any advice?

Thanks for reminding me of the long drive back from Denali. I have adjusted my plan and we will leave Denali Friday afternoon. Switched things up to do the Shuttle through the park on the 4th (reservations made) and go rafting on Friday. We'll head to Talkeetna overnight and on to Anchorage Friday morning.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,348 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Late June/Early July tentative Intinerary.....any advice?

Glad you booked the shuttle - much better than the tour and saves you $$.

Did you book your rafting? If you haven't, I would recommend Denali Outdoor center.

You could also go to the doggie demo at the park and do some hiking around the entrance area.

Arlington, MA
Level Contributor
38 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Late June/Early July tentative Intinerary.....any advice?

We'll be crossing paths perhaps in Denali or at the airport upon departure! Our challenge was figuring out something fun to do on Saturday as well before the midnight flight. We decided to check into renting paddleboards and paddleboarding around the sound. May hire a guide. THat or some other sort of boating excursion for the day to see the sound. Just a thought if your kids are old enough! Enjoy your trip and let's hope the mosquitos are not bad in the park (We'll be camping at Wonder lake the 29th-2nd then Igloo on the 3rd and 4 then taking a shuttle back to anchorage on the 5th).

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Late June/Early July tentative Intinerary.....any advice?

I always hope for the least amount of bugs possible. But if you've never seen an Alaskan mosquito, be prepared, they are HUGE!!! The paddle boarding sounds fun. Maybe we'll check into that on one of our days around Anchorage. Where do you stay in an Igloo?

Starting to pack today. Have to work the next 2 days, plus watch the Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup tonight!!! :o) (I see you are from MA....)

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,303 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Late June/Early July tentative Intinerary.....any advice?

>>let's hope the mosquitos are not bad in the park (We'll be camping at Wonder lake the 29th-2nd then Igloo on the 3rd and 4 then taking a shuttle back to anchorage on the 5th).

Mosquitoes have been especially bad this year. I usually always need a headnet at Wonder Lake CG through end of July. We used them June 8-11 at Wonder Lake. I have never needed headnets in Healy, Palmer or at Williwaw CG but this year during the first two weeks of June we used headnets in all those places. Be prepared and have headnets!

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Late June/Early July tentative Intinerary.....any advice?

Were do you get a head net?