We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Information on Alaska Cruise & Landtour

Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
Save Topic
Information on Alaska Cruise & Landtour

We are a couple in our mid thirties looking at planning a trip to Alaksa in August 2014.

Could someone advise us best way to take the cruise, from Vancouver and do Landtour last or Seward and do Landtour first. Read a post that said to do landtour first and relax on tour?

We will be flying from Dublin and will be looking to visit family in New York after cruise before flying home.

If we do landtour would it be best to book directly ourselves or take tours form crusie ship as Cruise and Landtour package?

Sorry for all the questions but want to maxiumise our time and what we see in Alaska with regards wildlife, scenery etc

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,246 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Information on Alaska Cruise & Landtour

G'day Firsttimersireland, and welcome to the TA forums,

If you look to the right of the screen you will see Top Questions, and the last one on the list provides very detailed advice regarding cruises, and also some about the land trips. There is a consensus on this forum to plan your own trip, rather than a cruise tour. I have not travelled to south central Alaska but do follow the forums and contribute where I can, mainly for SE Alaska and cruise questions, and I can assure you that the many very good advisers on this forum will help you plan a trip quite willingly, but do some homework first by reading the Top Questions and previous trip reports.

For 2013 about the best one-way cruise itinerary is with Princess on a southbound cruise as they cruise by both Hubbard Glacier and in Glacier Bay National Park, and it is rare to have that combination along with the regular three ports of Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan. Itineraries are usually quite repetitive so I would imagine that Princess will do the same in 2014. I might check a bit later on.

And please do not apologise for asking questions, so long as they are reasonable as the above one is. :)

Happy planning.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,246 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Information on Alaska Cruise & Landtour

I now see that for 2014 Princess have their Coral, Crown and Island ships on that same itinerary. BTW I have not cruised with Princess, as Holland America is my favourite, but by all accounts there is very little difference between the different cruise lines on the Alaska circuit except itinerary. If I were to do a one-way the SB Princess cruises would be my choice.

I am sure that k2iks will approve of my recommendation. :))

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,566 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Information on Alaska Cruise & Landtour

Frommy - yes that would be a plus for Princess as includes Hubbard Glacier on southbound only. To me, taking the cruise first or last is a matter of choice. Cruising first is like the appetizer where the land tour into interior Alaska is the main meal and dessert. The northbound cruises are also cheaper.

As for land tours most of us suggest arranging your own land tours, which gives you more options on where to go.

It is going to be interesting with the Crown Princess coming up here in 2014.She is a big ship; we spent almost 32 days on her last November/December.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,141 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Information on Alaska Cruise & Landtour

How long will you have for the land portion of your trip in AK?

tks,

Scott

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,519 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Information on Alaska Cruise & Landtour

Would you be willing to rent a car and do your own land trip - I do think that is the best way to do a land tour. :)

Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Information on Alaska Cruise & Landtour

We have no restriction on days prior to or after cruise, so we were thinking maybe 5-6 what do ye think?

Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Information on Alaska Cruise & Landtour

oh ya definately we have both drove in states before

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,519 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Information on Alaska Cruise & Landtour

Do it for as much time as you can squeeze out- trust me, it won't be wasted! You might read some of the trip reports from folks who have done their own land tours to get ideas of where they went, what they did and how much time they spent there. :)

9. Re: Information on Alaska Cruise & Landtour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2014, 06:17