We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shipping Salmon for a Gift

Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
147 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Shipping Salmon for a Gift

We will be in Alaska for a 1 week cruise. I would like to order some salmon to ship to someone back home for a birthday gift - but don't think I will have the time to shop around for the best place while we are in the ports due to the excursions we have booked. So, thought I would pre-order it for shipping at the appropriate time for birthday delivery.

So -- am looking for recommendations on the best place to order salmon for gift shipping (either fresh/frozen or preferably smoked).

Thanks for your help.

port republic
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shipping Salmon for a Gift

Farm-2-market has Copper river salmon, smoked or fresh frozen. there is a Copper river fish purveyor that ships as well. You could order on line now from home if you like.

Last time I was there, every town had a fish processer set up to flash freeze your catch and package it for shipping, many could also process lox or kippers and package , freeze and ship or give to you frozen and packaged for take home as luggage. many of these places do on line bussiness all the time, you are never more that a few clicks away from great alaska seafood

If you check the fish monger at any of your ports of call, you may find you have more options than you think, will the ship let you keep a pakage in their freezer?

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,025 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shipping Salmon for a Gift

Here are a few local companies I can vouch for in Southeast....you can order from their websites:

http://dejondelights.com/'

http://jerrysmeats.com/

Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
147 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shipping Salmon for a Gift

Thanks for the info. Both Dejon Delights and Jerry's Meats look like good possibilities for ordering. I am leaning towards Dejon Delights e cause of the variety of other products to include in a gift order.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,025 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shipping Salmon for a Gift

Be sure to have Dejon Delights include the brochure with salmon recipes with your order.....it is free.......We routinely send a smoked salmon side to family and friends for Christmas every year and it is always greatly enjoyed.......

You can visit their shop in either Haines or Skagway for free samples of their products, as well......One of our grandson's favorites is the pickled seaweed of all things......LOL

Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
147 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shipping Salmon for a Gift

Thanks Mombear. We are in the process of ordering from them now and will plan to stop by their Skagway shop when we are in port.

6. Re: Shipping Salmon for a Gift

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2014, 05:16