We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temperature mid August to mid September

Christchurch...
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Temperature mid August to mid September

We are coming from New Zealand and going on princess cruise for a week and land tour.We are going on a lot of excursions. Is it too cold for shorts and singlet? or do we need thermals? We are going to see glaciers so what should we wear? We are terribly excited!!

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,606 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Temperature mid August to mid September

The temperature will vary greatly in all the different areas you will be traveling. Layering is the key. By mid August you will have Autumn temperatures in most of the Interior and Southcentral areas of Alaska. You will want a little of everything. Anchorage has an average high of about 19 Celsius in August. If you get cold easily you may want thermals for some of your tours but a fleece top, hat and gloves will usually suffice for most people. Rain gear is nice to have and you should at least have a good, lightweight rain jacket for the trip. Good sturdy walking shoes/boots are best for traveling the uneven surfaces. You probably won't need shorts. I think a singlet is a short sleeve shirt and you may want one as part of your layering. Right now Southcentral Alaska is having an unseasonably warm summer but who knows how long that may last.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Temperature mid August to mid September

We arrived in Fairbanks on or about August 25th a couple of years ago. It was cold and wet for days. Camping in Denali, my hubby got a cold that hung on to him for 10 days. When we left two weeks later (around Sept 10th), it was in the 70's and sunny. You just cannot predict so you need to be prepared for anything. Regardless of time of the year, I would never consider any season "shorts" weather in AK, although you will see folks out and about in them.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,260 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Temperature mid August to mid September

Looking at videos of our 1994 trip to Alaska I was in shorts. Now I don't wear them anymore. I've seen people up here in them and most of them were tourists (I said most and not all). And, I've seen a local in jusr a teeshirt in Fairbanks one very cold February night. Pack your shorts anyway if they are comfortable. They sure come in handy with our recent weather

Christchurch...
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Temperature mid August to mid September

Thank you very much for replying to me so quickly. This helps a lot :-) Have a fabulous day!!!

5. Re: Temperature mid August to mid September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2014, 06:16