We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Alaskan Holidays Spring Adventure Package 2014

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Great Alaskan Holidays Spring Adventure Package 2014

Hi,

We just mailed in our paperwork and deposit. I was interested if anyone else on this forum is going on the 2014 trip.

This will be our first time and we are SO excited!

We are planning on 3 weeks total and will drive through Fargo, Bismark, Dinosaur Provincial Park (outisde of Calgary), Banff, Jasper and then up to Alaska. In Alaska we're planning on including Fairbanks and Denali National Park.

Any thoughts anyone from an experienced Spring Adventure traveler?

We are a family with a 5 year old and one year old.

My parents are also renting an RV so we'll be doing the trip together!

Thanks,

Maggie

Glacier Bay National Park & Preserve
National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Bodies of Water
Misty Fjords National Monument
Monuments & Statues, Geologic Formations, National Parks
Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park
Historic Sites, Visitor Centres, National Parks, State Parks
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Alaskan Holidays Spring Adventure Package 2014

Have you found and read the threads (with trip reports) from prior years . . . including 2013? That is probably your best starting point.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Alaskan Holidays Spring Adventure Package 2014

Yes, I think I'm getting a lot of great info online from previous travelers' experiences and different blogs. Very helpful so far! Just mostly looking for other people who have signed up for the trip or have great pointers!

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Alaskan Holidays Spring Adventure Package 2014

We are thinking of doing this trip in 2016. give us a couple years to prepare for the gas prices and save. we are a family of 5 with three kids ages when we go will be 14, 6,and 3. Wondering what route to take and how long to make the trip last. we want to also do the Fairbanks route with stops at Seward and Healy and a few more around Alaska. Thinking a two week trip would be great. Just want to inquire from others on some tips and suggested stops!!! Thanks for the help!!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Alaskan Holidays Spring Adventure Package 2014

I have looked into doing this and from a logistics perspective, plus wanting to not "rush through places" I think you will need at least three weeks to include all you mention Jaybird.

For times and suggestions, I would encourage you to read the past posts in threads on prior year's GAH Spring Adventure. Several have come back to these forums with trip report and blogs with photos and great suggestions for future reference.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
136 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Alaskan Holidays Spring Adventure Package 2014

My husband and I are going on the 2014 trip. A friend and I drove a car there in summer 2008, but this will be a whole different experience. We did tent camp quite a lot.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,085 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great Alaskan Holidays Spring Adventure Package 2014

Every time you guys start your early planning trips for your long distance RV trips, I get so envious.......you are going to have a wonderful adventure !.....

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
607 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great Alaskan Holidays Spring Adventure Package 2014

My wife and I did the 2013 trip. We could only get 18 days and I felt rushed, even though we spent 2 days in Fairbanks, Denali and Seward. I did all the driving and usually did an average of 400 miles a day. There is so much to see along the way, and so many interesting people. I want to go back on my own, but take all spring AND summer.

Our blog: …wordpress.com/2013/02/02/north-to-alaska/

I recommend taking the Yellowhead Hwy west from Jasper to Prince George and then the John Hart Hwy north from Prince George to mile zero at Dawson Creek. More scenic than the prairie.

If you have any questions about camps etc I'm happy to chat, We had a grand time.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
136 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great Alaskan Holidays Spring Adventure Package 2014

I will check out your blog and also your route

Thank you

nashville, nc
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Great Alaskan Holidays Spring Adventure Package 2014

We did this in 2012, and hope to do it again. This is a great compnay, very thorough. We did badlands, Rushmore, cowboy country through Montana, Canadian Rockies, Cassiar Highway, Hyder, Ak, Yukon, Tok, Valdese, Ferried to Whittier, Seward, Homer, Toured the penisula, Palmer, Denali, fairbanks, North Pole, back to Denali, jumped the Diamond Princess on June 2, to Vancouver then flew home to NC. Loved every second.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
136 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Great Alaskan Holidays Spring Adventure Package 2014

How many days did you take? What were your highlights?