Was fortunate enough to get some frequent flyer seats for us to go to Alaska in August. We are arriving in Anchorage on the night of August 18th and will depart Anchorage on the night of August 28th.
I'm seeking some advice because we are spending some of the time with one of my son's friends that has moved to Homer Alaska last year. I'm trying to set up an itinerary based on visiting my son's friend the Friday-Sunday of our ten day trip. This is what I'm thinking:
1. Arrive Anchorage on the evening of the 18th. Rent a car, and spend the night in a hotel, or preferably a B&B.
2. Spend Monday either in Anchorage or go to Crow Creek to do a little gold panning (on my son's list of things to do.
3. Tuesday - Head to Seward. Spend the remainder of the day on a short hiking trip or something yet to be determined.
4. Wednesday - Spend the day on a kayak trip to one of the glaciers. I'm leaning toward the Sunny Cove group for an all day trip that combines a boat trip and kayaking. Breaks the trip up for my 10 year son.
5. Thursday - Spend any remaining time in Seward and then make our way to Homer Alaska.
6. Thursday evening till Sunday - Spend time in Homer Alaska. My son gets to see his best friend. Get a chance to see Homer, including a possible fishing trip with his friend's uncle. I'm sure we'll be shown around the area by my son's friend's family.
7. Monday till departure on Thursday - Unknown
Since I'm breaking the trip in half by visiting Homer on the weekend, it leaves several days on both sides of the trip to do things. I'm trying not to do too much because what I've read on this forum. Is Denali possible/worth the short time? I could also do Seward on the back side of the trip, which would allow us Monday till Thursday to do something before going to Homer.
My wife would like to do some hiking, which I know we could do almost anywhere. I think we'll be covering the wildlife/ocean/glacier viewing on the Seward kayaking portion. I have thought about Kodiak, since we're close. Honestly though, since we will be spending about half the trip in the Homer/Seward region, I thought it might be best to take in another portion of Alaska.
Any help is appreciated. I'm assuming that everyone knows that school in Alaska starts on August 20th. Something I didn't know when I booked the flights. It's making coordinating the trip a bit tricky.
Thanks for the help,