We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone on the NCL Pearl lately going to Alaska?

beloit wi
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Anyone on the NCL Pearl lately going to Alaska?

Hey, my family and I just booked a cruise to Alaska on NCL Pearl. We have 2 weeks to prepare, but I have no idea of what to expect. I have never been to Alaska...So what should we expect? What clothes should we pack? Especially for my little ones (6 year old triplets and a 8 year old). What excursions should we do? I would prefer not to book threw NCL, too pricy. Any suggestions? Sorry for the long note, but I am so excited! Thanks in advance!

Jen

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,087 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone on the NCL Pearl lately going to Alaska?

Read the what to wear topic in the upper right corner of this screen under "Top Questions about Alaska"

One of the alternatives to costly tours booked through your ship, is to rent a car in one or more of the ports (book this ahead of time so you have one available).......that way you can explore in comfort on your own, stop in playgrounds, beach comb, have a picnic, or whatever your kids like to do......remember you and Dad are outnumbered, gotta keep those kids happy.......

If you post which ports you will be in and how long in each, that might get you more specific answers for each port........also let us know which cruise ship excursions look interesting to you and maybe that might get you some suggestions of independent tours which may be less costly........

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
70 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone on the NCL Pearl lately going to Alaska?

We found the NCL Cruise to Alaska very disappointing. I repeatedly asked if my enhanced ID was enough for the train excursion to the yukon. Yes, Yes, Yes. I had my birth certificate too, but people use the enhanced I.D.'s alone. They kicked me off the bus, but let another person with an enhanced I.D. go. I assume it was because both my husband and I are handicapped. My husband has CP and was on crutches. I have SLE and had a cane due to breaking my ankle on the dog-sledding/glacier excursion the day before (due to their loose fitting over-booties). We wanted to go home, but Mr. Almazon told us we could not and would be fined $600 for leaving early. He had issues with females speaking and only wanted my husband to speak (sexist). The ship was full of smoke and perfume (they sold the stuff duty-free). My asthma was a mess. We had a balcony that we could not use, due to a chain-smoker next door, were moved to only have people smoking above us and flicking their ashes onto our balcony. We tried our best to sit near groups of Asian people during night performances, since the Americans and Europeans were wearing too much perfume. People were smoking all over the deck. There were no clear spaces. Customer service lacked too. We had multiple instances where food service staff refused to make a salad w/o meat. Many restaurants had no vegetarian offerings. Room service was uncooperative. No special requests and we never got batteries for our TV remote. The most frustrating part of the trip were elevators that would not work, so we could not get to the main dining room and very little time at each port. Five hours at a port is hardly enough time to see anything. We decided no more cruises...fly there...drive to several locations...stay a few days...plan our own excursions. Each town has websites of excursions. It would be a better vacation!!

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,087 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone on the NCL Pearl lately going to Alaska?

Wow, sounds like you would have had more fun at home........

Regarding the enhanced ID issue........you would have been fine on the round trip train ride, but with a little research you could have found out that you would need a passport to actually get off the train and take the bus, as you would be in Canada at that point and would need the passport to return back into US......I would never rely on what someone "said" on an important topic such as that......I would have gotten it in writing from the US Customs and kept that with me for that particular trip.......It really sounds like whichever seasonal employee was loading the bus was unfamiliar with the laws rather than discriminating with you because of immobility issues.......

I honestly hope you are just venting because of your frustrations and discomforts in this particular trip and not setting it up to try to get some sort of recompense from the cruise company........it stands to reason when there are thousands of passengers cooped up and living in close quarters that there is absolutely no way to keep them all happy and having extremely high expectations is just setting yourself up for disappointment.......

I think the biggest thing you can take away from your trip is your conclusion that next trip you will make all the arrangements yourself and fully in charge of what you do and where you go each day.......That is a huge lesson that I also learned many years ago, and why I love to help folks on trip advisor by providing them alternatives to mass marketed tours.......

I am sincerely sorry that you had such an awful trip and hope that it does not taint your memories of Alaska and hope your future trips will be much more enjoyable........

4. Re: Anyone on the NCL Pearl lately going to Alaska?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2014, 07:18