We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not-to-miss foods in Alaska? Local specialties?

Level Contributor
1,439 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Not-to-miss foods in Alaska? Local specialties?

Are there any local type food items/specialties unique to Alaska?

I always like to know about and enjoy foods that are available in places we visit.

Zionsville...
Level Contributor
9 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not-to-miss foods in Alaska? Local specialties?

Some of my favorites were:

Oysters in Anchorage at Simon and Seaforts

Hallibut at Captain Pattie's in Homer

Halibut fajita bowl at Cosmic Cafe in Homer

Salmon at Ray's Waterfront in Seward

Chowder at Annabelle's in Ketchikan

Burger at O'Brien's Pub in Ketchikan

Salmon pretty much anywhere. :)

Halibut fish and chips are a favorite of mine.. Stikine Inn in Wrangell was my favorite.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,930 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not-to-miss foods in Alaska? Local specialties?

Of course, all the food that is produced in Alaska - though you can't get wild game like moose, but I would take advantage of all the fish & seafood our state offers - halibut, salmon, clams, oysters, crab, etc. Delicious! :)

Sturgeon
Level Contributor
522 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not-to-miss foods in Alaska? Local specialties?

Couple of things we enjoyed: Rays in Seward-hot king crab dip appetizer then the cioppino there. It had mussels, clams, scallops, prawns and cod in tomato herb sauce (with a little kick) over linguine. Also the "sled dogs" at Authentic Sourdough bakery in Carcoss. It was a reindeer hotdog, wrapped in sourdough, sprinkled with cheese and baked. Their soups were also fantastic. If you are looking to cook something different, try some fresh black cod. We got some at J dock seafood on the docks of Seward, marinated in soy and lemon, sprinkled with some spices and grilled. It was some of the best fish I have ever had. Had never heard of black cod before, but it was terrific. Pure atmosphere with hearty food, Talkeetna Roadhouse

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,930 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Not-to-miss foods in Alaska? Local specialties?

Also, some places have better food than others - might let folks know what towns you plan to be in and they can recommend the restaurants that best prepare local seafood, etc. :)

Fort Collins, CO
Level Contributor
55 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Not-to-miss foods in Alaska? Local specialties?

Chocolate bread at Two Sisters Bakery in Homer--dark chocolate chunks. Halibut cheeks in Seward, can't remember name of place, downtown. Peanut butter sandwich cookie with peanut butter ganache at Fire Island Bakery in Anchorage. Anything at F Street Station in Anchorage. Raspberry rolls at Talkeetna Roadhouse. Burger at Tommy's Burger Stop in Anchorage. Gumbo at Double Muskie in Girdwood. Man, am I homesick!

Fort Collins, CO
Level Contributor
55 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Not-to-miss foods in Alaska? Local specialties?

Chocolate bread at Two Sisters Bakery in Homer--dark chocolate chunks. Halibut cheeks in Seward, can't remember name of place, downtown. Peanut butter sandwich cookie with peanut butter ganache at Fire Island Bakery in Anchorage. Anything at F Street Station in Anchorage. Raspberry rolls at Talkeetna Roadhouse. Burger at Tommy's Burger Stop in Anchorage. Gumbo at Double Muskie in Girdwood. Man, am I homesick! Oh, and soup and bread at The Bake Shop in Girdwood, especially the goulash!

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
798 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Not-to-miss foods in Alaska? Local specialties?

Anything with blueberries!!! Jams, Jellies, Syrups..... Best blueberries I've ever had are in Alaska. Picked fresh off the bush is even better!

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,050 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Not-to-miss foods in Alaska? Local specialties?

Reindeer sausage - Birch syrup - High Bush Cranberry jam - Fireweed Honey - Pickled seaweed - smoked salmon - King and Dungeness Crab

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Not-to-miss foods in Alaska? Local specialties?

smoked salmon chowder at Gwin's in Cooper Landing

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,631 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Not-to-miss foods in Alaska? Local specialties?

King Crab.

If you like it cold, then I'd head to Costco and pick it up for about $20/lb. Buy some potato salad and melt a bit of butter (in a microwave or on engine block). Enjoy!!!!!

Good luck,

Scott