We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on small ship cruises?

Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on small ship cruises?

We are interested in taking a cruise in the Inner Passage area on one of the small ships (under 100 passengers). We've found three companies that seem to have itineraries and prices in our interest range, but have only found reviews online for the Un-Cruise group, mostly favorable. Does anyone have experience with or know where to find reviews on this group or on Adventure Life Voyages, or Adventure Smith Explorations? We're planning to do this in 2014.

Or if you have other companies to recommend, that would be welcome too.

Thanks

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,087 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on small ship cruises?

Just took a quick glance at both websites......appears that they use the same ships and itineraries......

I have no experience with either company but maybe if you did a search for "Island Spirit", "Alaskan Dream" and "Admiralty Dream" you could find more information.......

Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on small ship cruises?

Thanks, that helped a bit -- I found a few reviews for specific ships for the cruises I was looking at. But to make things more confusing, once I looked at the ship names, I realized that all three of these companies are using the same ships. So maybe these are just travel brokers for these ships? I'm leery of just booking with some company that I don't have any outside recommendations for.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,087 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on small ship cruises?

Un-cruise (previously InnerSea Discovery) runs the cruises. I would think that the other two are just booking agents.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on small ship cruises?

Adventure Life Voyages and Adventure Smith Explorations are simply wholesalers selling other companies cruises and land content. The cruises they offer are for Un-Cruises, Lindblad Expeditions (National Geographic cruises) and Alaskan Dreams Cruises. I suggest you look directly at these companies websites or search for reviews on their cruises or vessels. There are also other small ship cruises available, but they don't appear as good as these options.

Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on small ship cruises?

Thanks for your help, I did finally figure that out. When I talked to reps from these companies, they were helpful in reviewing the options we have.

Kihei, Hawaii
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on small ship cruises?

Island Spirit is an owner-operated 32 passenger vessel that runs great 9-day trips through the wilderness areas of Southeast Alaska. The company is called Fantasy Cruises, and their website is www.smallalaskaship.com.

Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on small ship cruises?

Thanks, Kenneth, we'll look at this.

8. Re: Advice on small ship cruises?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2015, 05:16