We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 day RV road trip mid-August. Tentative itinerary

Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
7 day RV road trip mid-August. Tentative itinerary

I have looked thru forum on advice but now want to ask my own.

Traveling with husband myself and 12 yr old son. We like to hike, see wildlife, explore outdoors, visit small stores, cultural landmarks in general. The only specific thing I want to do is take a glacier and wildlife tour in fjords. So here is my tentative agenda. But I need help because of the distances between places I don't want to just be driving all the time but enjoying relaxing.

We fly in 8-10 sat at 9:09 pm. Fly out 8-18 sun at 12:36 am.

Day 1. 8-10 satur. We are arriving anchorage on 8-10-13 at 9:09 pm. Rv rental guy (Lulay Rentals) is picking us at airport takes us to pick up rv. Overview of rv instructions, etc. he said we could spend the night in their driveway if it is late. If there is still light and we feel ok we may just head out and stock up on groceries. I will also look for places to park rv in anchorage but may just stay in his driveway.

We are flying from northern ca. We leave at 10:30 am so it's a bit of a long travel day but nothing we haven't done before.

Day 2. 8-11 sunday Travel anchorage to seward. Stop alot and see sights along the highway. Camp around seward area.

Day 3. 8-12. Mon. Boat ride to fjords. I am looking at saltwater lodge tours. Not sure if I should go on longer day or shorter day but since I have been wanting to do this for while I may want the long trip. Also hubbie and son don't want to do the boat ride so they can explore that day hiking etc.

I would think we would spend the night again in seward.

Day 4. Tues. Head up to Palmer and matsu valley area to camp.

This is where I am having a conflict. Should we head to denali? Or head to glenallen and Valdez?

What is too much driving?

When I look at suggested itineraries it seems like 7 days we may not get in full time in denali and I don't want to rush.

I am also looking at the anchorage - matsu - Valdez then ferry to Whittier loop and back to anchorage. But not sure if I want to ferry.

The other option is just stay within the kenai peninsula and explore and just enjoy that one area.

I appreciate your feedback. I know it sounds like I am all over the place but there are lots of options and I just want to feel like we made the right choices for our time.

Beyond Skagway Tours - Private Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
Gastineau Guiding Company - Juneau's Premier Guiding Company
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Other Outdoor Activities, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Boat Tours
Ketchikan Kayak Co
Bike Tours, Eco Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing
Liquid Alaska Tours
Boat Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips, Kayaking & Canoeing
Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
6,075 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 day RV road trip mid-August. Tentative itinerary

I'm not the best at itineraries... And I'm not sure of you budget. But I think this would work time-wise:

Tuesday the 4th: Drive to the MatSu. You would have time for activities in the Portage area on the way up: Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, Alyeska Tram, Winner Creek Trail, possibly a Prince William Sound glacier cruise out of Whittier or a cheaper & shorter 1 hour Portage Glacier Cruise ( here's our photos from a recent trip: …blogspot.com/2013/07/portage-glacier-cruise… ).

Wednesday you can make your way to Denali, with a detour to Talkeetna and a McKinley flight seeing trip.

Thursday and Friday you can do the Denali shuttles.

Saturday you make your way back to Anchorage.

That is the pretty standard Alaskan itinerary. But I do love Valdez and the drive there...

Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 day RV road trip mid-August. Tentative itinerary

We will not do a flying seeing trip. All in all we really just want to camp and see wildlife.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 day RV road trip mid-August. Tentative itinerary

On Day 4 I would drive north to Nancy Lakes State Recreation Area, I like South Rolly Campground. Day 5 make your way to Denali and stay at Savage or maybe Teklanika. You can take a shuttle bus to Eielson or maybe even Wonder Lake depending on the weather. Spend two/three nights in Denali and then you could head back to Anchorage. If you want to see Denali and camp there you should make reservations.

I think your son and husband will be missing a lot if they don't do the Kenai Fjords Tour. Maybe you could do a kayak tour for more adventure,

Sunday: drive to Seward stopping at sights along the way (Girdwood, Wildlife Conservation Center, Portage Glacier)

Monday: Boat tour/hiking (Exit Glacier, Sealife Center)

Tuesday: Drive north maybe stop at Nancy Lake (South Rolly)

Wednesday: Drive to Denali, stopping at sights along the way (Talkeetna, Byers Lake, Viewpoints, Veteran's Memorial) Entrance area activities

Thursday: Day trip on shuttle into park

Friday: Another shuttle into park, plan some hiking

Saturday: Head toward Anchorage/ return RV. Maybe visit Native Heritage Center, Ship Creek, Zoo, Coastal Trail, Weekend Market

Sunday: Early morning flight home

4. Re: 7 day RV road trip mid-August. Tentative itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2014, 05:16