We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valdez or Seward?

Dora, Alabama
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Valdez or Seward?

My wife and I are traveling via RV from ANC to Denali on our first 3 nights. (Trip Aug 9-19) I am needing a little advice on what direction to go for the remainder of our trip. Should we head to Valdez or over to Seward? Things of interest are hiking, fishing, kayaking, photography. I have been to Seward in the past but it was very brief, I really enjoyed the town and scenary. Some advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Valdez
Valdez
Alaska
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Cross Admiralty Canoe Route
Kayaking & Canoeing
Kayak Kodiak LLC
Kayaking & Canoeing, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Day Trips
Alaska Travel Adventures
Kayaking & Canoeing, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Boat Tours
Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Valdez or Seward?

Do you like long drives as Valdez is further than driving to Seward. If you don't mind high ferry costs you could take the ferry from Valdez to Whittier and continue to Seward, thus visiting both. I've been to both and Seward is far morei impressive. Unless you are going to take the ferry out of Valdez you will have to back track through Palmer.

Also, as you said you have already been to Seward, then why not forget that and Valdez and go to Homer. All of what you are looking for is there.

Mentioned in this post
Valdez
Valdez
Alaska
Seward
Seward
Alaska
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,132 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Valdez or Seward?

Well, I have been to Valdez and not Seward.......hopefully I will get a chance to go to Seward someday......but I definitely want to return to Valdez......great hiking opportunities, fishing, kayaking and photography......I highly recommend it.......

Have you considered driving to Valdez from Denali, staying a few days and taking the ferry to Whittier and on to Seward ??......Space for the RV on the ferry would be expensive, and you would need to book it ahead of time, but it would add a new dimension to your tip..........

Hi 2iks......guess we're both up early this morning

Edited: 24 July 2013, 16:00
Mentioned in this post
Valdez
Valdez
Alaska
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Dora, Alabama
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Valdez or Seward?

Thanks for the reply guys, I am very greatful for your input. I have been to Homer for a halibut fishing trip in the past and really enjoyed it. As far as long distance driving I would prefer to break it up and stay in a town between destinations. I considered Kenai Fjords Park for some hiking. I did check the rates on the ferry, yikes! I dont think that will be a option for us LoL.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Valdez or Seward?

If your RV company allows as some do, you might even consider driving the Denali Highway, thus no backtracking if you take the Glenn Hwy back.

Edited: 24 July 2013, 17:18
Mentioned in this post
Denali Highway
Denali Highway
90 Reviews
Alaska
Dora, Alabama
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Valdez or Seward?

This is a great idea! I am not really one that likes to backtrack. I really was interested in driving the Denali HWY. In regards to breaking the trip down so we are not driving non stop, is there any places in particular we should stop and camp?

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Valdez or Seward?

I like Teklanika campground at mile 30 within Denali as it comes with the cheap TEK pass & cuts travel time down getting deep into the park.

On the Denali Hwy one can really stop anywhere in a self-contained RV with restroom & water. Our personal RV was not self-contained, so we have stayed at Brushkana CG & Tangle Lks CG.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
12,367 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Valdez or Seward?

Valdez vs. Seward...

I prefer Valdez over Seward; but they both have lots for a tourist and Seward does involve less driving.

Spots to stop for the night...

I recently drove up to Denali (from Anchorage) and for a motorhome, I thought the camp spots at Denali - South and Denali - North (state recreation sites)) were very adequate (concrete parking lot style) to pull over, cook dinner and get some sleep... all with some great views. They're cheap; but near the highway. I like North over South due to better highway muffling.

Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Valdez
Valdez
Alaska
Seward
Seward
Alaska
8. Re: Valdez or Seward?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2014, 05:18