We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Anchorage, Alaska with a toddler and Infant

Morristown, New...
7 posts
Save Topic
Travelling to Anchorage, Alaska with a toddler and Infant

We just got a great flight deal to Anchorage from JFk. Its our first time there and we will be travelling with our 3 year old son and 6 month old daughter. Need some help planning a trip. Leaving on August 27th and returning on September 4th. That gives us 7 full days.

These are the main questions I have, any other information apart from this is also welcome!

1. Places to visit, How many days should we spend in each place?

2. Places to avoid with kids

3. Kid friendly places to stay (we dont have a very high budget either)

4. Would renting a RV be a good option?

5. Are there any cruises which start and end in Anchorage. I am thinking if this is a good option so we save on hotels and car and maybe food too!?

Edited: 06 August 2013, 20:25
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,578 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Anchorage, Alaska with a toddler and Infant

Basing in Anchorage, in general, is a bad idea as everything is a long distance in AK (e.g Seward 3+ hr drive, Denali 6+ hrs, Matanuska Glacier 2+ hrs, etc.).

There are no day cruises out of Anchorage (& I believe only 3 "big" cruise ships actually used Anchorage as a port this year).

Where to vist/stay & how long depends on what you want to do &/or see (you should read the "Top Questions" section towards the top right of this page/screen.

You should check out both RV rentals and car rentals to get an idea of what these may cost for the duration of your trip (if even available).

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Anchorage, Alaska with a toddler and Infant

Here's a couple trip reports from folks who traveled with kids:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k55287…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k55312…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k65661…

I know there was another Trip Report, I think from 2012 from someone traveling with an 18 mo old I believe. Can't find it, but should be there if you look.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Anchorage, Alaska with a toddler and Infant

The Sea Life Center in Seward is very kid-friendly as are the beautiful parks & walkways along the bay, especially with a stroller or baby carrier. The Holiday Inn Express in Seward has a pool.

The Girdwood/Portage area just south of Anchorage has lots of kid-friendly activities including the wildlife center:

tripadvisor.com/…47298453

I would save Denali for a future trip when the kids are at least school-age. Two babies on the shuttle buses would be a bit much for you all, I would think. Wait until they are old enough for the junior ranger program & can use binoculars.

A glacier cruise out of Whittier is a possibility as the waters are calmer than out of Seward.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Anchorage, Alaska with a toddler and Infant

MPatel,

What are you leaning towards so far? My wife and I are traveling to Anchorage for the first time with our 7 month old from August 30 to September 5th and we are also trying to finalize our schedule. This is the first major trip we've taken with our baby. We have friends in Anchorage so I wouldn't be disappointed if we stayed there during our entire trip but I would prefer to leave Anchorage for the "real" Alaska. A Whittier day trip is possible. We may also consider an overnight trip to Seward.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,434 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to Anchorage, Alaska with a toddler and Infant

You know - so much of travel with babies and small kids depends on your kids and how well they travel . . . Alaskan kids (unless they grow up right in the cities) are used to being in a car for long periods of time. I thought traveling with babies btw 4-8 months easier than toddlers because that age of babies are content to sit/be held - not quite so easy with toddlers that need to be up and going. But that doesn't mean I didn't travel - you just adjust. My kids slept in cars, backpacks - nothing really got in the way of what we were doing/where we were going. But some kids do travel better than others and you only know by doing it with them to know what they will tolerate. I had one kid that would have been happy all day on the shuttle bus and another that it would not have worked out very well. I would say to travel often with your kids - keep them flexible, but be prepared as parents - pack plenty of drinks/snacks/toys/books to keep your kids happy and be prepared to change plans if needed. Good luck! :)

Morristown, New...
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to Anchorage, Alaska with a toddler and Infant

Hey,

We have planned quite a few things. Starting out with 1 day whittier trip followed up with 3 days between seward and homer and then 3 days at denali. My sister and mother are joining us so we plan to take turns to visit places where we wouldnt want to take kids!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,434 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling to Anchorage, Alaska with a toddler and Infant

Good for you Mpatel! I am sure your toddler will love the Sealife center! :)

Edited: 08 August 2013, 16:38
Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling to Anchorage, Alaska with a toddler and Infant

Had to laugh Coalminer at your comment about Alaskan kids enjoying the car. Since we only have 20 miles of road give or take, our son thinks any trip more than half an hour is an eternity and has flown on more planes in his 12 years than many people do in lifetime. We once drove him from Prince Rupert to Edmonton and even at age five he said "why are we doing this? Why didn't we fly?" He groaned when I said, "think of it as going to Grandma's House 450 times" since she lives a mile from us LOL!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,434 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling to Anchorage, Alaska with a toddler and Infant

oh rainbirdreader - that is funny! And my kids were used to driving 120 miles without stopping - that is how long it takes to get to the grocery store - what different world we live in up here! :)

Morristown, New...
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling to Anchorage, Alaska with a toddler and Infant

We are changing our plans a bit based on availability of hotels and feasability. We are thinking of going straight to fairbanks on day 1. Group 1 goes to denali on day 2 to take 9 am shuttle and visits denali park, comes back to fairbanks at night. Rest of the folks stay up in fairbanks with the kids meanwhile. Group 2 does the same thing on day 3. That way we get 3 nights in fairbanks and hopefully can see the lights. Also fairbanks seems to be a nicer and bigger city to keep kids during the day without getting them bored. Day 4 we drive back to get back to seward. Day 5 and day 6 in seward. Day 7 we do the prince william sound cruise and catch our late night flight..

Does this sound good? Any thoughts? Not sure if i sound stupid too stay in fairbanks and go up and down to denali for 2 days??