We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska: 8/22-8/28 Anchorage, Seward, Homer, Palmer Itinerary

Cerritos...
4 posts
Save Topic
Alaska: 8/22-8/28 Anchorage, Seward, Homer, Palmer Itinerary

Hello everyone!

Name is Hanna (24), thinking about travelling from CA with my boyfriend (26) to Alaska. We have a rough itinerary down, but I'm not sure if we forgot to add anything worth seeing or if we're planning too close together, etc.. We love being active (hiking, kayaking, biking) and good food. Budget is around $4000. We plan to stay from 8/22-28, but can add 2 more days if needed. Currently with the below plans, my total cost has come out to $3431 (does not include food).

Day 1-8/22-R

Arrive in Anchorage @ 12:51pm

Rent a Car- Enterprise

Check in Springfield Hotel

Snow City Café

Downtown Bicycle Rental

Tony Knowles Coastal Trail

Moose's Tooth Pub

Explore Downtown

Day 2-8/23-F

Drive to Girdwood, AK

Aleyska Resort for Pictures

Winner Creek Trail

The Bake Shop

Explore Seward, AK (any suggestions?)

Marina Motel

Day 3-8/24-S

Seward, AK

Liquid Adventures, Kayak (website doesn't work, so not sure times yet)

Drive to Exit Glacier (Kenai Fjords National Park)

Dog Sled Tour (last tour is 6p-7:30p)

Drive to Homer, AK

The Spyglass Inn

Day 4-8/25-S

Homer, AK

Talon Air Service-Fishing and Bear Watching (full day, ends at 6p)

Explore Homer, AK (suggestions?)

Drive back to Anchorage, AK

Embassy Suites

Day 5-8/26-M

Anchorage, AK

Free Embassy Suites Breakfast

Anchorage Museum (Auroroa Borealis movie)

Chill Day

Drive to Palmer, AK

Alaska Garden B&B

Day 6-8/27-T

Drive to Chickaloon, AK

Ice Trekking (10:30a-4:30p)

Palmer, AK

Alaska State Fair (10a-10p)

Alaska Garden B&B

Day 7-8/28-W

Drive back to Anchorage, AK

Alaska Botanical Garden

Flattop Mountain Trail Hiking

Drop off Rental Car

Depart for LAX 6p

What do you guys think?

Cerritos...
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaska: 8/22-8/28 Anchorage, Seward, Homer, Palmer Itinerary

nothing has been booked yet, everything can be changed. Thank you guys for your time!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,099 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaska: 8/22-8/28 Anchorage, Seward, Homer, Palmer Itinerary

Wow your itinerary exhausts me. Day 3 you are really going to take a tour in Seward that ends about 7.30pm and drive 4+ hours to Homer, arriving about midnight? Then the next day take a tour that ends at 6pm and drive 5+ hours to Anchorage?

You are one of those who plans a first-time itinerary to Alaska that allows you to see the Alaskan roads. Please, I strongly suggest you slow down and smell the roses. You have so much planned in so many places that one snafu (construction delays, accident on the roads, flat tire) will totally ruin your plans.

With all due respect, you can tell an itinerary is poor when you are in Alaska for 6 nights and have five different lodgings in different places. Very unfortunate.

Edited: 10 August 2013, 13:21
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alaska: 8/22-8/28 Anchorage, Seward, Homer, Palmer Itinerary

Since you can add 2 more days.... do it!

Stop at Exit glacier on the afternoon you arrive in Seward. Spend another night in Seward & do your dog sled tour that added day.

Spend another night in Homer after your fishing/bear trip.

Cerritos...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Alaska: 8/22-8/28 Anchorage, Seward, Homer, Palmer Itinerary

@fti: I was thinking I was putting everything too close, but I wasn't too sure. Thank you for the feedback. What do you think...spend an extra day in Seward? How would you plan this trip? Any help is appreciated!

@denalicat: I'm not sure if I should go to Homer anymore...the reason I planned everything so close together was so I wouldn't have to spend more money on hotel costs..What do you think? Should I go to Homer or spend an extra day in Seward? What do you like about Homer?

Edited: 11 August 2013, 01:59
Ohio
Level Contributor
241 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alaska: 8/22-8/28 Anchorage, Seward, Homer, Palmer Itinerary

What about this? We just took a similar trip--see my trip report for some ideas

8/22 Anchorage

8/23 Homer

8/24 Homer--can you change your bear viewing to the 24th?

8/25 Seward--Exit Glacier hike

8/26 Seward--your kayaking trip

8/27 Girdwood--hiking--the Winner Creek tram was still broken, I would choose another trail

8/28 Back to Anchorage for flight, return car at 4PM

If you add the other 2 days you could add the State Fair and Glacier trek.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,099 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alaska: 8/22-8/28 Anchorage, Seward, Homer, Palmer Itinerary

If your main reason going to Homer is bear viewing, you can do that from Anchorage with Rust's and save yourself a lot of time and driving, not to mention gas costs. Maybe something like this:

Aug 22 Anchorage

Aug 23 bear viewing from Anchorage

Aug 24 drive to Seward with lots of stops along Turnagain Arm

Aug 25 Exit Glacier and Harding Icefield hike

Aug 26 Kayaking in Seward

Aug 27 to Girdwood or maybe to Sutton/Sheep Mountain Lodge area. If Girdwood, explore the area this afternoon and Aug 28. If Sutton/Sheep Mountain Lodge, do a 2-3 hour glacier trek with Mica in the morning of Aug 28 then drive to Anchorage (2 hours, so depart by 2pm at the latest), arrive Anchorage airport by 4pm for 6pm flight.

Cerritos...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Alaska: 8/22-8/28 Anchorage, Seward, Homer, Palmer Itinerary

Thanks for the suggestion everyone! Decided to save this trip for a special occasion! Will definitely add an extra day for driving, a longer stay in Girdwood, and Rust's! So expensive but so worth it! Again, thanks for all the help!! I really appreciate it

8. Re: Alaska: 8/22-8/28 Anchorage, Seward, Homer, Palmer Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2014, 05:17