We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To stay or go?

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
To stay or go?

Love this forum!

Should we stay in Anchorage when we arrive or drive to Talkeetna for the night? Currently, the plan was to head to Talkeetna when we arrived. We will need time to grap luggage, pickup rental car and grocery shop as we are headed to Denali. Of course this is assuming our flights are all on time. Coming from Ohio that could put us in Talkeetna as late as 11 (our time). Thinking of staying in Anchorage and enjoying drive to Denali next day.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,307 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To stay or go?

You did not tell us what time you arrive. You also did not tell us who "we" is. Also, knowing your entire itinerary would help us to put everything in perspective.

Edited: 15 August 2013, 13:53
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,437 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To stay or go?

Also...

What time do you leave Ohio and, as I can, can the driver sleep peacefully on the plane?

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To stay or go?

We is my husband and myself. We leave Ohio Wednesday morning at 835am arrive in Anchorage 251pm. Neither are good for sleeping on the plane.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,437 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To stay or go?

Flight = on time

Have car & luggage by 3:30

Get to grocery store, in/out by 4:30

Drive to Talkeetna (3.5 hrs, easily a very generous amount of time, very likely less time) = 8pm in AK (midnight on your OH clock)

I'm guessing your estimate of 11pm OH time is very close to what it actually will be.

You'll be in daylight hours up here with a good chance of clouds &/or rain. It's not a hard drive. Roads are good with some likelihood of construction slowdown between Wasilla and Talkeetna.

Here's a google map link to the drive (distance is accurate, time/duration is not):

http://goo.gl/maps/1Cofd

Point B is a very good grocery store (Fred Meyer). It's on a direct path you can take to get out of ANC. It's easy to find, get into and get out of.

Good luck.

Scott

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To stay or go?

Thanks Scott. We will go with that plan. We are so looking forward to our trip and the amazing state of Alaska!

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,764 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To stay or go?

In my opinion upon arriving mid-afternoon in Anchorage after a long flight from Ohio I would not attempt to drive to Talkeetna as it is over 100 miles and you will encouter construction delays. Right now there is one long one north of Willow almost to the junction of the Talkeetna Spur Road. Plus the fact your reservation is screwed up and you arrive late (after six in the evening). But, that is me who most here (younger than me :-)) will disagree. Besides, you will want to be refreshed and will not be a fun trip driving tired.

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To stay or go?

Thanks k2iks

I probably sound like a squirrel in the middle of the road, but my husband and I pretty much decided to do as you suggested. Perhaps in our younger days (we're in our sixties, but pretty fit) we would have tackled the drive. We went to Yellowstone last year and after landing in Jackson Hole spent the night then got up early the next day, did our grocery shopping and throughly enjoyed the drive to the Tetons.

We arrive in Anchorage on 8/28. We can always do lunch in Talkeetna. We are then headed to Denali for 3 nights. I'm hoping to get a disco hike. We are then coming back to Anchorage for a night before heading to Homer for 2 nights. Maybe do a half day fishing. We end our trip with 3 nights in Seward.

I purchased Mileposts to help guide us. This is thanks to the help from TA.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,764 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To stay or go?

Be aware that Talkeetna is on the Talkeetna Spur Road about 14 miles in from the junction with the Parks Hwy and you will have to back track to continue to Denali. If it is only lunch you want I would suggest the Mt McKinley Princess Lodge which is about 35 miles north of the junction. Right now there are at least two construction delays along the way.

The half-day charters out of Homer are either 6 a.m. or 12.30 p.m. If our weather clears up, hopefully do one this Monday (not 6 a.m.)

9. Re: To stay or go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2014, 05:17