We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haines plans

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
83 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Haines plans

We will be stopping at Haines on the Zaandam. We like to be independent and have rented a car for the day. I am still researching, but right now plan on driving up the highway for a while, stopping into Steve k's place and then circling back to the lake to try and see some bears. Chilkoot lake tours has a boat available at 17:45 for two hours. Thought that might combine great scenery with some wildlife viewing. Do we have time to do the boat, drive back to town drop off the car and still make our ship which is scheduled to sail at 9:00?

Any great walks you could recommend? Would have said hike a month ago but for now walking is my speed!

Finally we do want to check out town before the lake, any recommendations for particularrly interesting, historical spot?

I am cheating a little, not having done all my research before posting but I beg your indulgence since this is a brand new port for us, we are leaving Weds and I still have an office to clean up before even starting to pack!

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,087 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Haines plans

Renting a car is a great idea.......drive out the highway with stops at the Eagle Preserve (walk the boardwalk) and Klukwan Village........if you have your passports, cross the border into Canada (40 miles north of town) drive up and over the pass, lots of glaciers in the distance, wide open mountain and tundra scenery.......bring binoculars and stop often.......

Here in town, you could stroll through the historic Fort Seward and tour the museum.......drive down Mud Bay Road with stops along the beach (walk any of the trails there), Sunshine Springs and Letnikof Cannery........make sure to get a map when you pick up the car.......

Note : You cannot just stop by Steve Kroschel's.......he does tours twice a day and the gates are only open briefly to let in visitors.......If you book one of his tours, make sure you are there waiting at the proper time.....

Chilkoot Lake boat tour would be an excellent choice, too.......Not sure about whether you can get back to the ship in time, though.......Is 9:00 when the doors to the ship actually close, or does it leave then ? Chilkoot Lake is only about 10 miles from the ship dock but it takes maybe 30 minutes to drive......

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
83 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Haines plans

Thanks Mombear. I figured you would have the right info.

I really appreciate all the wonderful information you have provided over the past six months.

Thank you very much.

Ashland, Illinois
Level Contributor
18 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Haines plans

Are you into photography--wildlife and nature? If so, I can recommend a friend I made in Haines. I'd have to look up the company he works for but they do guided photo tours--and I'm guessing they can be very flexible to fit your schedule. Haines is a beautiful little town. My wife toured it while I was photographing a bald eagle family in their nest.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
83 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Haines plans

Mombear, what is "sunshine springs". You mentioned?

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,087 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Haines plans

Sunshine springs is a fresh water spring next to the road, it comes right out of the mountain.......many of the locals get their drinking water from the spring......one of our old timers called the water there "Haines Champagne"......stop by and fill your water bottles and you will have a good chance of meeting a colorful local or two......

Another stop down that way, past the cannery another mile or so, you will come to a sign for Chilkat State Park, right there at the corner is a neat art gallery called Extreme Dreams.....you may catch the resident artist blowing glass......

Continue down the road to Chilkat State Park and walk out to the back deck on the ranger's cabin......there is usually a spotting scope out there.....great views of Davidson Glacier, maybe even see mt. goats on the mountain or a whale in the ocean from there......

6. Re: Haines plans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2014, 06:21