We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning logistics - Anchorage to Brooks Camp?

Kalix, Sweden
Level Contributor
683 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Planning logistics - Anchorage to Brooks Camp?

We`re planning our Alaska adventure for July 2014 - and hoping to get a reservation for a few days at Brooks Camp as well, when the booking system opens in January! The planning logistics - especially for the domestic flights - are giving us a slight headache though....

Our international flight arrival in Anchorage will be at 4pm in the afternoon and I know that we will be excited to get going on our way and get out into the wilderness, so we wonder, would it be possible to get to Brooks Camp already that same afternoon/evening?

I notice that Pen Air/Alaska Air have 5.45pm & 8.40pm flight departure from Anchorage that same evening to King Salmon, but what happens from there? Are there any floatplane flights that late from King Salmon to Brooks Camp (I can`t find any timetable for the floatplanes)?

Or would it maybe be wise to fly at least half-way to King Salmon on arrival and overnight there - or just stay in Anchorage that first night and depart for Brooks Camp early next morning? What would you recommend to do?

Regards, Annika

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning logistics - Anchorage to Brooks Camp?

I would fly to King Salmon that evening and then you can get on the first flight to Brooks Camp in the morning. The Anchorage flights to King Salmon can sometimes be delayed in the mornings due to weather so that way you would get a jump start on everyone else. When you get to the campground look for a spot in the SW corner, it is the driest area of camp.

Many of the float plane companies don't have a fixed schedule they kind of operate on a flexible schedule depending on demand.

Kalix, Sweden
Level Contributor
683 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning logistics - Anchorage to Brooks Camp?

Thanks spacefry for your helpful reply! :-)

I have looked here on TA and is it true that there are only two places to stay for overnight in King Salmon - the Antlers Inn and King Salmon Inn? Can you recommend staying at one of them?

Thanks again, Annika

Kalix, Sweden
Level Contributor
683 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning logistics - Anchorage to Brooks Camp?

Or is there a campsite in King Salmon?

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,425 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning logistics - Anchorage to Brooks Camp?

Quite a few private lodges in King Salmon but they are hard to find and are not cheap - $150/person/night or more.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning logistics - Anchorage to Brooks Camp?

I would stay at Antler, King Slamon or King Ko. They are close to the park visitor center and the airport. I have never stayed at any of these lodges since I have friends to stay with in King Salmon but I think they are acceptable for a night.

Kalix, Sweden
Level Contributor
683 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning logistics - Anchorage to Brooks Camp?

Thanks both of you for your suggestions, I will have a look at these on the internet! :-)

It seems though as there is nothing less expensive than approx. 300usd/night for a double-room in King Salmon...and that doesn`t even include breakfast! If anyone has any other *less expensive* suggestions, I´d be thankful for any advice!

Edited: 15 September 2013, 06:53
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,425 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning logistics - Anchorage to Brooks Camp?

I have only stayed in King Salmon once due to a flight delay. It is just too expensive for my budget. I have otherwise always just overnighted in Anchorage then taken a flight from Anchorage to King Salmon to Brooks. My lone night in King Salmon was several years ago at $150/person including breakfast. You might check my trip journals to see if I mentioned the name of the place - getjealous.com/fti. But I am not sure if I did. It was run by a really nice German woman.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,089 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning logistics - Anchorage to Brooks Camp?

To me, based on my travels, after an overseas flight, I would consider spending your first night in Anchorage. I don't know anything about flights to King Salmon, but if you missed your connection, would there be available space on the next flight over there. Also, take account that the terminal in Anchorage will be at the other end (and no TSA to deal with).

Kalix, Sweden
Level Contributor
683 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning logistics - Anchorage to Brooks Camp?

Thanks fti, I checked out your homepage and according to your blog from July 2007, you stayed at a place called "Diamond Lodge" in King Salmon, so I will have a look at that lodge on the internet now and see if it still exists! ;-)

Thank you k2iks for your suggestions! We haven`t decided yet wether to stay in Anchorage or King Salmon for our first night in Alaska and we feel a bit overwhelmed reading through all these forums and with all the choices we have to make before our trip to Alaska next summer - but at the same time it`s really exciting to plan everything & we can`t wait to get there! :-)

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning logistics - Anchorage to Brooks Camp?

Here's a trip report from a lady who recently stayed in King Salmon for Brooks Falls:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k68382…

Edited: 16 September 2013, 13:49