We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip journal/photos - Denali NP and Fairbanks Sep 2-17, 2013

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,520 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Trip journal/photos - Denali NP and Fairbanks Sep 2-17, 2013

Had a great time in Alaska earlier this month. Spent most of the time in Denali NP - 4 nights at Wonder Lake, 2 nights in the backcountry, a night at the Denali Hostel before and after, then 3 days of Road Lottery (with a night in Fairbanks in between). Though it rained a lot the first week, it never rained during our hikes. Here is a link to the trip journal I wrote as I was traveling:

getjealous.com/fti/journal/2833568/alaska-mo…

I haven't even downloaded all my photos yet, especially from the last two days that were picture perfect without a cloud in the sky. But here is a small sampling of my photos from the two weeks (yes, some are obscured by the watermark, but if that bothers you, sorry!).

https:/…

It was a very economical trip, considering we only camped inside the park 6 nights. Otherwise we paid for cabins at the hostel or hotels. Food budget was generally really low. A summary of the costs is at the end of the trip journal.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip journal/photos - Denali NP and Fairbanks Sep 2-17, 2013

Nice! Thanks for sharing FTI.

Kalix, Sweden
Level Contributor
683 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip journal/photos - Denali NP and Fairbanks Sep 2-17, 2013

Thanks for sharing these great photos from Denali NP fti! Those fall colours look truely stunning!

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip journal/photos - Denali NP and Fairbanks Sep 2-17, 2013

I am so love, love, loving your trip vicariously! I always wanted to climb Mt Eielson after our buddy flybyphoto told us about it at Moosestooth, but was chick of the Thorofare river rising in the afternoon like it did with you all. You were brave! And it helps to have a group to lock arms with to cross.

Isn't Gravel Mt. a hardy climb!!?? Glad you got unit 11 after that climb! Your hiking partner was quite the climber!

Back to more reading of your great trip report & pics! Thanks so much John.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip journal/photos - Denali NP and Fairbanks Sep 2-17, 2013

Unfair! With all that camping reminds me of the summer of 1970 right after our fourth child was born and spent almost every weekend camping at a primitive FS campground in the Sierra (Talbot) that was at the upper end w/o facilities. In fact it really wasn't a campground at all. Very enjoyable and we were very young. Clue: don't have to take off my shoes for TSA security anymore. Unfortunately, our camping days are over for us.

Regarding your WX the day you arrived (Monday September 2) it sure did rain alright. Our Island Princess had just docked in Whittier and it was raining and the wind didn't make it any better. My wife stayed with our luggage while I hurried over to get our car. We were able to go through the 10 am opening, but only after all the cruise ship busses went first (interesting as there were only about four cars and a camper waiting). Then when we entered the Seward Hwy we turned south so probably never passed you.

Herts England
Level Contributor
186 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip journal/photos - Denali NP and Fairbanks Sep 2-17, 2013

Wonderful report and great photos!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,520 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip journal/photos - Denali NP and Fairbanks Sep 2-17, 2013

Thanks for the comments. Yes, k2iks, it was also windy and not just rainy. We basically ate in Girdwood and went to the Begich Boggs Visitor Center that day and not much more.

>>I am so love, love, loving your trip vicariously! I always wanted to climb Mt Eielson after our buddy flybyphoto told us about it at Moosestooth, but was chick of the Thorofare river rising in the afternoon like it did with you all. You were brave! And it helps to have a group to lock arms with to cross.

Yes we did lock arms on the crossing coming back. I am still amazed that Clark basically took the straightest, steepest route to the top!

>>Isn't Gravel Mt. a hardy climb!!?? Glad you got unit 11 after that climb! Your hiking partner was quite the climber!

We pitched our tent on the south side of Stony Dome so we were already part way up elevation-wise when we started. Gravel is right behind Stony Dome. It was a hardy climb, but we took it slow (I definitely slowed Clark down, but he was very patient). We did see Mt. McKinley's two peaks that day but it was very windy. It was a great hike though and I am glad we did it.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip journal/photos - Denali NP and Fairbanks Sep 2-17, 2013

I too have climbed Gravel & it is indeed quite a climb.

I once set my tent up on the back side of Stony where I could see the mountain, came out at night for a nature call, a fog rolled in & I lost my tent for a while. Found my cooking rock, bear canister & then had to triangulate to find the tent. Kinda scary for a few minutes in the wet mist.

Even that close to civilization in unit 11 it can be scary as you found out with the wind.

Sounds like an awesome trip & what a thing to share with Clark, climber that he is!

Edited: 23 September 2013, 00:32
Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip journal/photos - Denali NP and Fairbanks Sep 2-17, 2013

Actually I got my date wrong. We left Vancouver September 2nd and the WX was great and nice passing under Lyons Gate suspension bridge. When we reached Skagway on September 6th the weather turned to not so good. Our rail trip was fog all the way up to Fraser and back. Glacier Bay and College Fjords no better. By the 9th the Whittier the conditions included the wind. We felt sorry for the other passengers as for many it was their first visit to Alaska. As for us it is an expectly way of life up here.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
124 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip journal/photos - Denali NP and Fairbanks Sep 2-17, 2013

What a great and enjoyable report and wonderful photos! A waist-high water crossing sounds like a very cold experience! Wondering what clothes you had on – keeping your feet dry is good but what about the rest of you? You certainly did a lot of hiking, very exciting – many thanks for sharing your trip.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,520 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip journal/photos - Denali NP and Fairbanks Sep 2-17, 2013

Actually the water being cold wasn't a huge issue to me - I don't mind cold. But it was running fairly good and was quite high. I had water shoes and convertible/quick dry pants with the bottoms unzipped. The shorts dried really fast actually, even though it was probably only about 50F (10C).

Yes, this trip I did more day hiking than any other trip. I was so glad to have my travel buddy Clark with me. I would never have done that much hiking without him!