We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 days from Anchorage

Orange county, CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
8 days from Anchorage

We are a family of four with an 11 and a 16 year old. We will arrive 8/4 at 11pm in Anchorage and leaving 1:30pm 8/12/14. Looking for suggestions for an itinerary.

Would like to see Seward/Kenai Fjords with boat tour for sure, maybe Denali (too much driving?), maybe Homer. I'm not sure we can do Denali, Seward and Homer. Any thoughts?

We like to hike, raft, bike, we are reasonably adventurous, we don't want to spend the entire trip in our car. We would like to choose one or two paid outings (boat tour) and the rest on our own or low cost.

We have already rented a car and have our first night near the airport in Anchorage. Thanks!

Edited: 23 September 2013, 14:54
Juneau Whale Watch
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Other Outdoor Activities
Gastineau Guiding Company - Juneau's Premier Guiding Company
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Other Outdoor Activities, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Boat Tours
Kenai Fjords Tours
Boat Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Kayak Adventures Worldwide
Kayaking & Canoeing, Boat Tours
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,748 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 days from Anchorage

Welcome to the forum.

>>we don't want to spend the entire trip in our car.

I strongly suggest you just work on Denali and Seward and points in between. Adding Homer adds 8 hours round trip of driving, plus you really want a minimum of 2 nights in a place in order to really explore it.

How about something like this?

Aug 4 arrive Anchorage, hotel

Aug 5 grocery shop for Denali, drive to Denali with stop in Talkeetna for lunch and maybe flightseeing

Aug 6 shuttle bus to Wonder Lake (can get off at Eielson if weather is not good or you want more time for hiking)

Aug 7 another shuttle bus into the park (more hiking, more chances for wildlife sightings). Even rafting trip with Denali Outdoor Center

Aug 8 to Matanuska Glacier area, either late afternoon glacier hike or hike the next morning

Aug 9 drive to Seward. Take your time along Turnagain Arm - lots to see/do along this route. You could also get to the tunnel to Whittier in time to take the afternoon glacier tour. Then continue that evening to Seward.

Aug 10 6 or 9 hour Kenai Fjords tour

Aug 11 Exit Glacier, Harding Icefield Trail hike (even hiking just part of it will be good for views)

Aug 12 depart by 7am for Anchorage, arrive by 10am for 1.30pm flight

You can rent bikes in Seward if of interest.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 days from Anchorage

When we visited Matanuska Glacier (probably July 2012) we enjoyed it very much. However, be aware if you are coming down the Parks Hwy from Denali it will require a 120-mile round trip from Wasilla via the Glenn Hwy.. You could overnight at nearby Sheep Mountain Lodge (good accommodatios and food). The next morning continue east on the Glenn to Glennallen, then south on the Richardson Hwy to Valdez to spend the night and catch the ferry the next morning to Whittier. I don't believe my suggestion will really save you any time, but does add some other scenery to see.

Also, if you wish to spend an additional day in Valdez you could do a Columbia Glacier cruise. We did that last month and in my humble opinion, it beats Glacier Bay.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,748 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 days from Anchorage

Yes, it is about 120 miles round trip from Wasilla, though you can take the cutoff from Wasilla to Palmer to cut off a bit. Figure 6 hours of driving from Denali to Matanuska. We stayed in Palmer in June when we went to Matanuska.

I would be hesitant to add Valdez since that will add another day to your travels. It means giving up a night somewhere else just to drive more and take the ferry. If it were me, I would drive via Anchorage and use the money and time to take a Prince William Sound glacier tour instead.

Orange county, CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 days from Anchorage

I like this idea so far after reading several

8/4 drive to denali, stop talkeetna

8/5 denali

8/6 denali

8/8 denali rafting

8/8 to Girdwood for beluga beach, panning for gold, wildlife center, overnight

8/9 drive to seward, exit glacier ranger hike

8/10 Kauai fjords tour

8/11 around seward, Doglsled? Fishing?

8/12 leave early for anchorage

Any other suggestion between denali and seward? A different overnight stop to break up the drive?

Thank you!

5. Re: 8 days from Anchorage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2014, 05:19