We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whens the best time of year to travel to alaska?

Mocksville, North...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
whens the best time of year to travel to alaska?

My hisband and I are looking to go to alaska for our anniversary around may, would this be a good time?

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,134 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: whens the best time of year to travel to alaska?

Depends where you are going in Alaska and what you plan to do.......

Here in SE Alaska, late May is usually quite nice weather wise, some sprinkly showers some sun, temps in the 60 to low 70s range, lots of wildflowers blooming.......fishing and bear viewing are not as good as later in the summer, though.......

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: whens the best time of year to travel to alaska?

Having lived in Alaska for four years now, I have yet to discover the best time, paricularly as they been setting all these records of some kind. As it is your anniversary, that would be your priority then - in May. But, that is my opinion.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,825 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: whens the best time of year to travel to alaska?

Late May is better than early May throughout much of Alaska. What are your interests? How long?

Mocksville, North...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: whens the best time of year to travel to alaska?

We are prob interested in more wildlife sightseeing, bears, moose, hiking and seeing the sights around the area.we are looking at prob a 7 day cruise

Mocksville, North...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: whens the best time of year to travel to alaska?

Whats best to see in Mqy.

? We were looking at the end of may. What kind of records?

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,134 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: whens the best time of year to travel to alaska?

Re: "We are prob interested in more wildlife sightseeing".........The bears will be out, but not usually seen in the wild until the salmon start running in late June.......whales will be around for whale watching tours......no moose in Juneau or Skagway......

Frankly the best way for you to see bears in any port town would be a tour to either Fortress of the Bears in Skagway or Steve Kroschel's Wildlife Center here in Haines (if you port in Haines or Skagway).....

Records for what ??.... temperature ?.....king salmon ?

Mentioned in this post
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
Skagway
Skagway
Alaska
Haines
Haines
Alaska
Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: whens the best time of year to travel to alaska?

The records I was referring to was WX, which were not particularly for May, but anytime (rain, show, temperature, longest winter, etc)

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,134 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: whens the best time of year to travel to alaska?

Good morning k2iks........I was trying to respond to Brandi's question......

9. Re: whens the best time of year to travel to alaska?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2014, 05:17