We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seward - Trapper Creek distance?

Kalix, Sweden
Level Contributor
683 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Seward - Trapper Creek distance?

Google maps is suggesting that to drive the distance between Seward and Trapper Creek is 4 hours 15 min, is that accurate (for July) without calculating stops along the way?

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,427 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seward - Trapper Creek distance?

It is about 240 miles. I figure 5 hours without stops. Just after July 4 figure even longer.

Google Maps is notoriously inaccurate for driving times within Alaska. Good for you to ask.

Edited: 05 October 2013, 14:31
Kalix, Sweden
Level Contributor
683 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seward - Trapper Creek distance?

Ah, thanks! We`re thinking of somewhere to stay with a *hopefully* nice view of Mount McKinley to break up the long drive on the way from Seward to Denali NP, so thought that Trapper Creek maybe is a good choice.....and then drive the scenic highway to Denali NP early next morning?

fti, do you think we would still make it from Trapper Creek - Denali Visitor Centre on the next morning with stops for views here and there - early enough to take our first shuttle into the park - or will we arrive too late for this?

(we will be there the following day, too, but hoping to do two shuttle rides into the park on two different days)

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,427 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seward - Trapper Creek distance?

Figure 2-1/2 to 3 hours from Trapper Creek to Denali NP. I wouldn't book a shuttle before noon.

Talkeetna has a couple of lodges with views of Mt. McKinley I believe. Not sure about Trapper Creek. I stayed at Northland Inn with no direct view of the Mountain but just a short drive to see the entire range.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seward - Trapper Creek distance?

15-20 miles north of Trapper Ck is McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge with views of the mountain if it is out.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,099 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seward - Trapper Creek distance?

There is nothing at Trapper Creek that excites me. Recommend the additional miles to Mt McKinley Lodge. BTW Trapper Creek is almost opposite that of Talkeetna; but no road or bridge over the river.

Kalix, Sweden
Level Contributor
683 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seward - Trapper Creek distance?

Thanks again all of you for your time & suggestions! :-)

We are thinking about staying at McKinley View B&B in Trapper Creek, which looks lovely from pictures and is supposed to have magnificent views of the mountain...on a clear day, I guess. We decided against accomodation options in Talkeetna due to the detour (according to google maps it`s not located at the highway at all) and driving up there and back seems unneccessary and time-consuming when we can get a nice B&B with good views at Trapper Creek, or am I thinking things wrong?

I will have a look at the Princess Lodge on the internet as well, thanks!

Edited: 05 October 2013, 17:19
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,427 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seward - Trapper Creek distance?

Actually just purely for an overnight transit, I much prefer Trapper Creek to Talkeetna though you don't have the range of lodging options that you do in Talkeetna. Save >1/2 hour in transit time (again if purely being in transit) and quieter. Stayed there on at least two occasions and would do it again.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
363 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seward - Trapper Creek distance?

We did that trip in reverse & drove from Trapper Creek to Seward in about 8 hours - but we stopped several times: in Wasilla to shop at Fred Meyer, a long stop at Potter Marsh for lunch and at least 3 overlooks on Turnagain Arm.

We found stopping at TC divided the trip from Denali to Seward nicely. We were in an RV so I'm sure you would do it more quickly in a car.

Kalix, Sweden
Level Contributor
683 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seward - Trapper Creek distance?

Thanks fti & BlackpoolBelle for your replies, that sounds good! We are very excited about our upcoming trip and counting the days already and gathering so much useful infos on this forum, even though it`s still soo far away until July, but planning is fun! :-)

Lincoln, NE
Level Contributor
146 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seward - Trapper Creek distance?

We stayed at Denali Fireside Inn in Talkeetna and had one of their stand alone cabins, which is much preferred to their other lodging. This is much cheaper than many other options around this area and has a beautiful view of the mountain when it is out. Talkeetna is a funky, eclectic place that is a fun place to visit for a night. It makes the trip to Denali an easy trip.