We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary review

Hummelstown...
3 posts
Save Topic
itinerary review

Hello wonderful Alaska experts.

I've read and re-read your posts and suggestions and am now ready to ask for advice. (First time poster but I've also read your advice/warnings for newbies so hopefully will not make anyone wince)

I will be traveling to Alaska in mid-late July for appx 2 weeks with my husband, 3 kids (15, 11 and 11). We're pretty adventurous and are looking for a good mix of hiking, exploring, and enjoying the scenery and wildlife (will have a rental car). I would appreciate feedback on the tentative itinerary below before we move ahead with reservations -- is it doable? too much? We want to enjoy ourselves and not be exhausted at the end of the trip but don't want to waste much time or miss anything.

Day 1 - arrive in Anchorage, explore the area

Day 2 - drive to Talkeetna, hike Byer's Lake area

Day 3 - flightseeing trip in a.m., drive to Denali area

Day 4 - Denali - shuttle bus/hike

Day 5 - Denali - raft trip, hike

Day 6 - drive Denali - Gridwood. Lots of stops along the way

Day 7 - Gridwood - tram ride, hike, explore area

Day 8 - drive Turnagain Arm/Portage

Day 9 - Seward - hike Exit Glacier, Sealife Center

Day 10 - all day Aialik kayak trip (instead of the 9 hr wildlife cruise?)

Day 11- return to Anchorage

Day 12 - depart Anchorage

Please let me know if we're missing anything and/or whether this is a realistic itinerary. Thank you in advance for your help!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,510 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary review

I am not great with itineraries, but it looks pretty good to me. It is Girdwood - just incase you are searching for that. Also, when does your flight depart on day 12? I might consider staying in Seward for Day 11, depending on when your flight is. Good job on the research newbie! :)

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary review

Welcome to TA, Jennifer!

Yes- good job!

Where were you thinking of an overnight Day 8?

Edited: 14 October 2013, 21:51
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,325 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary review

Great itinerary but I suggest you book flightseeing for later on Day 2 and Byers Lake hiking for Day 3. Two reasons. First if flightseeing is cxld on Day 2 you have a chance to reschedule for Day 3. Also Talkeetna to Byers Lake is over 1 hour each way. You will save over 2 hours of driving by doing this on Day 3

Edited: 14 October 2013, 22:01
PA
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary review

Hi Jennifer - Fellow Newbie here...

The first half of your itinerary (Talkeetna/Denali) is almost identical to the the one we're taking for our trip next June with the exception that we took FTI's advice and will try to do this flight-seeing in the afternoon of Day 2 with a fallback to Day 3 am if the weather does not cooperate. Instead of Byer's lake, we'll be staying at the Talkeetna Camper Park. Not as scenic, but really convenient to maintain flexibility for our flight tour and bum around Talkeetna for a bit. One difference with your plans is that we'll be in an RV, so I'm not sure how nice Talkeetna Camper Park will be for tent camping...

Edited: 15 October 2013, 13:05
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,325 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: itinerary review

Jennifer are you tent camping?

Hummelstown...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: itinerary review

Thanks for the quick response. We haven't booked out flights yet - hope to do so next week. I would love to spend another day in the Seward area so will figure out how to make that work. (and thanks for the Girdwood correction - I would have figured it out eventually!)

Hummelstown...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: itinerary review

OK, so now I know not to reply to each post :)

Not tent camping (although my son would love it). Not sure where we're staying on Day 8 as I haven't looked into hotels yet. I wanted to figure out our activities/itinerary first and will start with hotels now. We really don't care where we stay as long as there's hot water and beds.

Thanks for tip about the flightseeing in the afternoon. I will also be flexible with the kayaking trip for the same reason.

8. Re: itinerary review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2014, 05:18