We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip

Alabama
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip

We are planning a trip to Alaska probably the last of August 2014 for a couple of weeks and we want to see Denali, ride the White Pass Railroad and see whales along with the beautiful scenery.

Will we be able to see some of the best parts of Alaska in this time frame. Also I saw where it will

take about 8 hours to get from Skagway to Juneau. Is all the driving slow? Up for any suggestions.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,118 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip

>> Also I saw where it will take about 8 hours to get from Skagway to Juneau. Is all the driving slow? <<

Wet. There's no road between Skagway and Juneau, only mountains and ocean.

Alabama
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip

Thank you for the info. We did a whale excursion out of Juneau several years ago and wanted to do that again. Sure there are other places for whale watching. There is just so much to try to coordinate.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,510 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip

So - why not tells us where you have been before, how much time you have, etc., and then perhaps we could help you plan something. Thanks! :)

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,325 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip

Unless you have two weeks or more, I would discourage you from trying to get to both SE Alaska (Juneau) and southcentral Alaska (Anchorage, Denali, etc). You can do whale watching out of Whittier with a smaller outfitter there. There are whales in PWS, but the bigger day trips are glacier trips not whale watching trips. You can also often see whales on the Kenai Fjords trips that get out of the bay (i.e. 6 hours or longer).

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip

Regarding the "road trip" part........

There are only two SE Alaska towns where you can drive to/from the rest of Alaska....those are Haines and Skagway.......All others including the capital of Juneau you can only reach by boat or air......

The Alaska Marine Highway takes about 8 hrs to sail from Juneau to Skagway......It is about a 30 minute plane ride.......

If you could provide more information as the others have suggested, we can all provide you with information and suggestions that are the most suitable......

Alabama
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Trip

Thank all of you for your input. We are planning to travel from August 27-Sept 10 but the dates are flexible. We would like to fly into Anchorage, travel to Denali, then Fairbanks. From there we want to travel on to Skagway to ride the White Pass Railroad with stops along the way and it does not matter the route we take. We mainly want to see the scenery. If this seems like too much for the time we can alter our schedule. We are both in our 60's and do not want to hike or anything strenuous. Would like to see wildlife as well as glaciers. We are checking on RV rentals and if we decide against that should we make reservations as each place we plan to spend the night?

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Trip

You will be driving about 18 hours (longer depending on how many stops you make) ONE WAY between Anchorage and Skagway just to take the White Pass Train ??......Really only one route to take from Anchorage to Glenellen to Tok to Whitehorse to Skagway.......Lots of great scenery, but it will be a very very long drive......

The only other option would be to tour in your RV, return it in Anchorage and fly to Juneau, then ferry or fly to Skagway.......

I would definitely recommend reserving your accommodations ahead of time, if you do not use an RV........

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
320 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Road Trip

Alaska Fjordlines runs a catamaran between Skagway and Juneau. Its a day trip, whale & wildlife watching, three hours in Juneau including a trip to Mendenhall glacier. We've done it a couple of times. If you're driving up the highway from the lower 48, you can hit Skagway from Whitehorse, do the Juneau trip, then take the Alaska Marine Highway from Skagway to Haines, and the Haines Road back to the Alaska Highway at Haines Junction. If you're in a big RV, that would be prohibitively expensive though.

Edited: 02 November 2013, 15:51
Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
320 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Road Trip

Sorry, Fjordlines does stop in Haines too, and you can do that loop in reverse.

Alabama
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road Trip

Plans have been made to fly into Anchorage on August 18th late and spend the night in the RV. We plan to head toward Tok and we want to visit Dawson City, Whitehorse, Skagway and Haines. We have no scheduled plans and just want to enjoy the scenery and would like suggestions and which route is the best to take and what the must sees are. We will have to return the RV back in Anchorage on Sept 2nd. Thank you for your help and if there is anything I need to do in advance I would appreciate your help.