We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking Boots!!!

Illinois
2 posts
Save Topic
Hiking Boots!!!

Anyone have recommendations for some boots? I dont think I can get some thing thats breathable and waterproof at the same time , but need stuff to hike during the warmer/HOT months, I have winter boots. Military surplus is fine also. Any ideas?

1. tie up above the ankle

2. very light

3. waterproof

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking Boots!!!

I have a pair of Keen waterproof hiking boots and really like them, my feet don't' really get hot though so breathability is not a big issue with me. I also have owned a pair of Vasque Sundowners that I have had new soles put on for the past 15 years, I love these boots.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking Boots!!!

Vasque are notoriously good and make several gortex-lined waterproof-breatheable similar to these:

http://tinyurl.com/vasquebt

Edited: 01 November 2013, 11:50
Bridgewater
Level Contributor
799 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking Boots!!!

Where in AK are you going and when are you going? Parts of AK may still see that freak snow storm in early June and even in late Aug/early Sept you may still see near freezing temperatures - depending where n AK you are going.

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking Boots!!!

I have Salomons and I like them better than any others I've tried (Asolos, North Face, Keen, etc):

salomon.com/us/product/quest-4d-gtx-w.html…

They aren't cheap, but my feet get hot easily and don't get overly warm in these. They aren't the coolest hiking boots I've ever owned, but up here, I've never had to worry much about sweaty feet.

If you don't need anything too high, they have a mid Salomon for a lot less. My ankle's tendons are all stretched out from too many ankle sprains, so I need a boot that's higher to help stabilize when I'm on rough terrain, so those 4D GTX do that job very well. If that's what you need, be careful about what you buy online. The Vasques that denalicat linked are the same spec height of Salomon mids on Sierra Trading Post and I know those mids only come up to just below my ankle bone (therefore not lending the kind of stability I need).

Edited: 01 November 2013, 23:34
Illinois
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking Boots!!!

thanks all for your help and information. At last i bought my boots from hikingomatic.com/five-best-hiking-boots-for-… here while i searching online. I will post my boots pic soon

6. Re: Hiking Boots!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2018, 14:39
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,130 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking Boots!!!

Carl, it is against TA regulations to supply links to your own website......you may find that it disappears soon....

8. Re: Hiking Boots!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2014, 05:16