We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Anchorage before or after Organised Tour

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in Anchorage before or after Organised Tour

I'm (single, male, quite fit traveller) looking to book an organised tour with G Adventures starting in Anchorage on 19th July and ending there on 2nd August.

gadventures.com/trips/…

I'm comfortable with what that tour covers. However, I can arrange some time in Anchorage before the tour starts or when it ends, to do 1 or 2 additional days. Either organised tour or hiring a car. Has anyone got some great ideas what to do or go see ? Funds not limitless but if the idea is awesome then happy for you to suggest.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,142 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Anchorage before or after Organised Tour

You could rent a car and either drive to the Matanuska Glacier for a guided hike on a glacier. You could overnight in the area and then hit Hatcher's Pass/Independence Mine on the way back.

There's also the Museum in Anchorage and/or the Alaska Native Heritage Center.

Or you could travel south along the Turnagain Arm to Whittier and do a Prince William Sound glacier cruise. This would be backtracking, but you could do the drive at your own pace and include the tram at Alyeska. Plus the glacier views you'll get from the day cruise is vastly superior to what you'll have seen on your ferry trip to Valdez.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,210 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Anchorage before or after Organised Tour

Being that your tour doesn't go on the Glenn Highway at all, I would opt for Matanuska Glacier, Independence Mine and even Wasilla.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Anchorage before or after Organised Tour

fti. Thanks for the suggestion. I like the sound of doing this. Assuming I hire a car to enable me to do this, how many days do you think I should get the car for ? Are there any unsealed roads that I'd need to travel on - just thinking of whether I'd need to ensure the car rental agreement allowed that. Any further thoughts ?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in Anchorage before or after Organised Tour

AK. Thanks for your thoughts. Sounds like I have 2 suggestions for the Matanuska Glacier. Great minds think alike !! If you have thoughts about transport options/car rental duration, I'd appreciate them.

I will investigate your other suggestion re. to Whittier and a Prince William Sound glacier cruise and include the tram at Alyeska. Assuming I hire a car (are there any other transport options ?), how many days would you recommend ?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in Anchorage before or after Organised Tour

To both fti & MN; any suggestions as to where to stay in the Matanuska Glacier area ? I'm not adverse to bunking somewhere but don't have a tent and not wanting to sleep in the car !! Thanks to you both for helping me out with this.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in Anchorage before or after Organised Tour

Under Top Questions you'll find 'Scenic Drives'. That link provides maps and suggested stopping points for each drive. Here's Matanuska:

alaska.org/guide/matanuska-glacier-scenic-dr…

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,949 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in Anchorage before or after Organised Tour

Here is some more:http://www.glacierview-alaska.com/

I would recommend staying here at Homestead cabins - lovely friends of mine - spectacular views: http://www.homesteadcabinsak.com/

And if they are booked, do consider Sheep Mtn Lodge as well.

New York
Level Contributor
3,176 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in Anchorage before or after Organised Tour

You can stay in Palmer which has a lot of lodging available. Sheep Mt, has an excellent B&B.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do in Anchorage before or after Organised Tour

Thanks to you all for your suggestions. I very much appreciate your thoughts and advice. Paul

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,652 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do in Anchorage before or after Organised Tour

Be aware that Sheep Mtn Lodge is not in Palmer, but is the closet to Matanuska Glacier, located about 10 miles to the east. Good food.