We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anchorage, Alyeska, Fairbanks, and Chena Hot Spring in NOv

Houston
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Anchorage, Alyeska, Fairbanks, and Chena Hot Spring in NOv

Hello,

I'm with traveling with my girlfriend to Alaska for Thanksgiving Week and need some advice.

We are doing Alyeska 3 Days, Anchorage 1 Day, Chena Spring, 2 Days, Fairbanks 1 Day.

1. I driving in winter weather in the states before. Should rent a car and drive from Anchorage to Alyeska or Fairbanks to Chena Hot Springs? My concern is being stranded in the middle of no where with no help and cell service.

2. Can you recommend Things to do in each of these locations?

3. Best place to spend Thanks giving Diner in Fairbanks.

Thanks,

Ken

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,617 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anchorage, Alyeska, Fairbanks, and Chena Hot Spring in NOv

Lavelle's, Pike's, The Pump House, Gambardells and The Turtle Club are all great restuarants. You will need to check and see if they are doing dinner on Thanksgiving. The Fairbanks New Miner will have a listing of all the restaurants serving dinner.

Driving is probably the most convenient form of transportation a and I would definitely rent a car for the Girdwood/Anchorage portion of the trip. The only other way to get to Fairbanks would be to fly. I don't think I would try to drive Anchorage to Fairbanks in one day in the winter. The lack of daylight and unfamiliarity with the roads is going to slow you down.

You could fly Houston to Anchorage and rent a car and see Anchorage, then fly to Fairbanks, rent a car in Fairbanks. Then fly Fairbanks to Houston.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anchorage, Alyeska, Fairbanks, and Chena Hot Spring in NOv

I'm with Spacefry on discouraging driving between Anchorage and Fairbanks in the winter when you have such a short trip planned.

In ideal conditions it's at minimum a 6 hour drive. In winter conditions (which it is now), I'd allow 8 to 9 hours (one-way). Also if you were going to make this drive, there's much to do to make sure you have emergency supplies in your car in case a "bad" event does occur.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,704 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anchorage, Alyeska, Fairbanks, and Chena Hot Spring in NOv

With your time frame and winter driving times, I would recommend skipping Fairbanks. As mentioned, it'll be a day drive each way, and a lot will be in the dark.

And I'm not sure how you'd get to Alyeska without a rental car. There's no public transportation.

While at Alyeska, the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center at Portage will be open.

http://www.alaskawildlife.org/

Houston
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anchorage, Alyeska, Fairbanks, and Chena Hot Spring in NOv

Thank you for the quick replies. We are going to take Era Alaska from Anchorage to Fairbanks instead of driving. How is the drive from Fairbanks to Chena Hot Springs?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anchorage, Alyeska, Fairbanks, and Chena Hot Spring in NOv

The road will have winter conditions; but the car you rent will be "winterized". Depending on how cold it is, the car will likely start far easier if it is plugged in at Chena (i.e. make sure rental company gives you a "blue" extension cord - blue cords are cold rated). Unless there has been a very recent snow, the road to Chena will be plowed. Drive carefully and smart.

I

Houston
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anchorage, Alyeska, Fairbanks, and Chena Hot Spring in NOv

Sdpryde, Thank you.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,519 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anchorage, Alyeska, Fairbanks, and Chena Hot Spring in NOv

Even if the road to Chena Hot Springs has been plowed, there very definitely can be some snowy or icy patches on the road. I was in Fairbanks a few years ago after a fairly big snowstorm. The road to Chena is quite hilly and even though I have had extensive experience driving in winter conditions, it was a bit unnerving even for me at times when I saw snowy and icy patches still on the road.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anchorage, Alyeska, Fairbanks, and Chena Hot Spring in NOv

And be careful for moose, especially on the CHS Road. I saw the aftermath of car meets moose and it wasn't good for either . . . …igougo.com/photos/journal/660x400/c666d2e41… .

9. Re: Anchorage, Alyeska, Fairbanks, and Chena Hot Spring in NOv

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2014, 06:19