We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days only

Napier, New Zealand
3 posts
Save Topic
5 days only

Hi all,

myself and two of my girlfriend's are heading to canada for the Calgary stampede on 4th July, we are from Rural towns in New Zealand and only have 5 days, so we were thinking of heading to a spot with good quality locals rather than touristy spots and have three must do's whilst in Alaksa. 1. have dinner in an igloo, 2.fish in an ice hole and 3. sledding. We are all between 25 and 28 and have obviously been watching far too many movies but non the less are country girls wanting to experience some Alaksan culture oh and the Alaskan beer!. is there a place that you can recommend?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,930 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days only

Ah, well, we can provide some culture and good beer, but alas, there are no igloos in real life, and we don't have snow and ice (other than glaciers) in the summer time . . . so what else might you want to do? :)

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,375 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days only

With just five days stay in Canada or the lower 48. Save all that commute time abd use it to sightsee closer.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days only

It takes us three days just to drive the approx. 1500 miles from Calgary to Skagway, Alaska. I too would recommend staying & touring in the Canadian Rockies, some of the most beautiful mountains in the world.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,375 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days only

Even if they were to fly, which was my assumption, I still would not recommend Alaska with just 5 days.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days only

I concur with FTI . . . nowhere near enough time to justify the expense.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,631 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 days only

"myself and two of my girlfriend's are heading to canada for the Calgary stampede on 4th July, ... and only have 5 days,"

- Will you have 4 to 5 full days in Alaska?

"good quality locals rather than touristy spots"

- Alaska though vast, has minimal populated places. Those towns/cities will host both locals and the tourists. You really won't find most of the places you might visit "touristy". With only 4 or 5 days, you'll avoid one of AK's most visited places, Denali (not enough time with travel thrown in). Next most "touristy" would be any port (but only the street or two nearest the cruise ships), Talkeetna (when tour buses are in), and the downtown portion of Anchorage (when tour buses are in).

"1. have dinner in an igloo, 2.fish in an ice hole and 3. sledding."

1. Seriously, what made you think you could get a meal in an igloo (don't have tv or internet in NZ yet!! - sarcasm intended)?

2. It's summer here, we had temperatures in the high 30s up here this past summer. There will not be any ice unless you are on a glacier) - go for a guided trek on the Matanuska Glacier (a fantastic thing to do).

3. sledding... if you mean on a toboggan (or even on a dog sled), you'll have to get a helicopter ride to a glacier at some altitude (do a google search for such activities - this one might be possible; though expensive)

"We are all between 25 and 28 and have obviously been watching far too many movies but non the less are country girls wanting to experience some Alaksan culture oh and the Alaskan beer!. is there a place that you can recommend?"

If you are actually here for 4 or 5 days...

- immediately make a reservation for a car (reservations are free and can be cancelled). Check frequently for better car rental deals. Prices can get very high as summer approaches.

- you can have a great AK experience in that time period; but you need to limit yourself in places visited.

- for AK beer, running into locals, and a good activity or 2, I'd limit myself to Anchorage, Girdwood/Portage and Seward (see: http://goo.gl/maps/KuyGf for a driving map of this area)

- ANC, Girdwood, and Seward all have great pubs/bars where you can get some local brew and meet local people. They also have some great activities. If you are a healthy group, I highly recommend hiking up to the Harding Icefield ( nps.gov/kefj/…harding_icefield_trail.htm ) at Exit Glacier (near Seward). It's a difficult, free, all day activity that has fantastic "rewards" for the effort. In Anchorage, there's many activities that can use up a couple of days (bicycle Tony Knowles Coastal Trail, visit art/crafts displays at the local native hospital, hike up Flattop, observation area from Glen Alps trailhead area, etc.), as there are in the Girdwood/Portage area (see: http://goo.gl/lSnN2 - I really love Byron Glacier).

If you've 4 or 5 full days, I definitely get up here for a visit (I think in the summer, there may be a direct/non-stop flight from Calgary on Air Canada).

Good luck,

Scott

PA
Level Contributor
821 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 days only

Comment on the igloo:

You might be surprised how many people I know (of all ages and professions) asked me to take photos of the igloos while I was in Alaska this summer. Many also asked me how many igloos we saw while in Alaska. Others couldn't believe that we didn't encounter snow and that the temps were above freezing while we were there in June. So.....

Everyone has there own perceptions of what other places have or don't have.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,050 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 days only

Just curious where these "perceptions" come from......cartoons maybe, ?......

I think anyone wanting to travel anywhere, needs to do as much research on where they are going before hand, not just travel based on "perceptions" or hearsay..........

Good advice, Scott......You pointed out some good practicalities for someone wanting to travel to Alaska with so little time.......

PA
Level Contributor
821 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 days only

Good question mombear. I'm unsure and it is always amazing to me the questions asked before and after I travel somewhere. I think for many people, Alaska is just so unknown to them that they are left with much misinformation.

10. Re: 5 days only

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2014, 06:20