We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4-5 days family land trip in end of May 2014

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
61 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
4-5 days family land trip in end of May 2014

I would like to get my itinerary reviewed and also have a few specific questions about the trip.

4 adults (us + our parents, in their fifties, moderately active)

1 kid (our son will be 15 months old then)

Flying from Seattle to Anchorage and then back

Will be renting a car, bringing car seat

Things we like to do: seeing glaciers, natural scenery, flight tour, not too particular about wildlife watching, scenic car drives (with breaks)

Want to do a relaxed trip and not rush through - can extend the trip a day or two if needed, please let me know if this feels too tight

First time in Alaska

Most likely start date is May 24

Day 1 - Anchorage, stay overnight

Day 2 - drive to Whittier, take PWS tour majormarine - this seemed to be a calmer tour, hence planning to take my son along, drive back to Anchorage, stay overnight

Day 3 - drive to Seward, take the Kenai Fjords 6 hr tour (this looks like the longest option in May end) - the plan is to decide if only our parents do this or all 5 of us do if our son does well on the PWS tour - not sure if it is a good idea to not reserve until the day before in this case

Day 3 - overnight in Seward

Day 4 - explore Seward (i see exit glacier recommended by many) + drive to Talkeetna, stay (could also stay in Seward and then drive in the morning)

Day 5 - take the flight tour with glacier landing (planning to take my son in this), drive back to Anchorage, stay (is end of May a decent time to take this tour - i know it depends on the weather at that time but just wanted to know in general) (would need a backup option if this is not recommended at this time - I was thinking of Homer)

Day 6 - fly back to Seattle

Would you suggest any changes to this?

Few additional questions:

Is there an easy/short bike trek we could do (just me and my dad) in Anchorage/Seward?

When I checked suggestions on this forum, majormarine was recommended from Whittier but Kenai Fjords was suggested from Seward, any reason? can i book both tours from majormarine itself?

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,037 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4-5 days family land trip in end of May 2014

Day two: How about just going to Seward directly instead of returning to Anchorage ?.....Being in Whittier, you are already halfway to Seward......

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
61 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4-5 days family land trip in end of May 2014

Hi, yes, I can go directly to Seward, thanks for the tip

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,272 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4-5 days family land trip in end of May 2014

You could do Major Marine for both boat trips.... But Kenai Fjords has more options out of Seward.

And just so you know... Seward to Talkeetna is 238 miles. Google Maps has this as an 4 hour and 17 minute trip, but in reality, its gong to be more like 6 hours with traffic, stops and construction.

http://goo.gl/maps/hAnoz

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
61 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4-5 days family land trip in end of May 2014

Are there any good places to take a short break between Seward and Talkeetna apart from Anchorage?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,376 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4-5 days family land trip in end of May 2014

Eagle River, Palmer, Wasilla, Hatcher Pass. :)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4-5 days family land trip in end of May 2014

Biking ... Tony Knowles Coastal Trail.

I'd flip the itinerary to shorten up the drives.

Day 1 flight to Anc. afternoon, bike Tony Knowles Coastal Trail

Day 2 drive to Talkeetna. Flightsee that afternoon or if the weather doesn't cooperate, try again the next morning.

Day 3 drive to Girdwood to overnight. 4 hrs plus stops

Day 4 visit the Wildlife Conservation Center in the morning. PWS cruise afternoon. Drive to Seward 1.5 hrs

day 5 seward

day 6 drive to Anc for afternoon flight 3hrs

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4-5 days family land trip in end of May 2014

I like yescanada's itinerary... nice job!

Rent bikes downtown at either Pablo's or Downtown bike rentals, both easy access to the coastal trail.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
61 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4-5 days family land trip in end of May 2014

Thanks yescanada, I like this itinerary, it gives me a backup for Talkeetna. So is it okay in general to wait till the last day to book a flight tour?

Do you still recommend doing the Kenai Fjords tour on Day 5 or just explore Seward?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
61 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4-5 days family land trip in end of May 2014

Another question, how soon should I book the hotels and the rental car? I have booked flight tickets.

Any suggestions for cabins which are spacious, with kitchen and some view, especially in Seward (that is the only place we stay for 2 nights, i think for 1 night stays in Anchorage, Talkeetna and Girdwood we can do with a regular hotel). I will look at the reviews but wanted to know if you have any suggestions, especially since we will be traveling with an infant. Am okay with upto 250 per night

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4-5 days family land trip in end of May 2014

I'd book the best car deal you can find NOW. Enterprise had a great deal a month ago so check them out . Prices fluctuate wildly so check the web sites frequently in case a better deal comes along.

The best place to find recommendations for lodging is in the trip reports. I jot down the names of places as I read the reports. ie for Girdwood I have Glacier View B&B, Hidden Creek B&B, Carriage House B&B, and Girdwood Guesthouse. Town web sites are also a good resource .... when you find a place that interests you run it thru the SEARCH IN tool above.

BTW, Exit Glacier is about 10 miles from Seward so you'll pass by on your way in and out of town. If you do the Kenai cruise you'll still have time to visit Exit Glacier. Catch a mid afternoon flight out of Anchorage so you're not rushed. But give yourself 4 hrs so you have time for the drive and time to return the car.

Edited: 18 December 2013, 16:54