We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anniversary Trip May 2014

Nabq Bay, Egypt
2 posts
Save Topic
Anniversary Trip May 2014

I am looking for somewhere different to go for our ten year anniversary. it will only be the two of us and we are thinking of Alaska. Is the weather good in May or still winter? How much daylight? I am an avid hunter, are there any bear, moose , elk caribou seasons open during that time? we are looking at a 7-10 day leaving from Nashville, TN. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,297 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anniversary Trip May 2014

When in May?

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anniversary Trip May 2014

We call May "break-up," it's a slushy mess of melting snow.

If you could wait just one month it'd be x100 better - especially if you are from a warm climate.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,297 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anniversary Trip May 2014

Mid May is when the tourist related businesses open up for the summer season, earlier than that can be tough for a tourist. I think that April tends to be when most of the state sees break up happen, but it really can vary from year to year. We had late snow in May last year in my area - and in Denali, you would always see snow in the park - it doesn't green up until early June usually. :)

Nabq Bay, Egypt
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Anniversary Trip May 2014

Our anniversary is the 15th, but we are pretty flexible. We are active and in our mid 30s.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,798 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anniversary Trip May 2014

You'll find info about daylight hours under Top Questions.

For hunting info, try the Alaska Fish and Game web site, http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anniversary Trip May 2014

Congratulations on your anniversary & welcome to TA!

May 20th is the date of the start of the shuttle buses to Toklat for access into Denali National Park, with about 19 hours of light around that time.

Although it will have usually dried up in Anchorage, I have always seen some snow in Denali at that time. I usually see a lot of wildlife that time of year in Denali as animals are down at lower elevations & near the road. But there are no guarantees of course.

I'm not a hunter, but my understanding is that fall is big game hunting season.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anniversary Trip May 2014

I'm not into hunting but never heard of any hunting season in the spring regardless of what state. In the spring bears would not be the best eating anyway

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,297 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anniversary Trip May 2014

There are some animals/birds you can hunt year round in Alaska as a resident, but I am sure that wouldn't apply to a visitor/non-resident. The usual hunting times are in the fall, and many require hunting with a licensed guide. check this out for more info: www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm…

Sitka, Alaska
Level Contributor
74 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anniversary Trip May 2014

My opinion is that for Southeast Alaska at least the weather is phenomenal in later May. It tends to be pretty dry, though not as dry as June. It's getting to be warmer. Plenty of daylight.

As far as hunting goes, Alaska has a 100+ page regulation book on the subject. As a non-resident you'll have to follow even more rules and pay quite a bit for tags. I'm honestly not sure what all the restriction are. Non-residents wishing to take big game and brown bear are required to go with a professional guide or close relative, however. I'm not sure what all the seasons and what the bag limits are in different areas, that's something you'll have to look into.

10. Re: Anniversary Trip May 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2015, 07:18