We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couple in late 50"s travelling to Alaska for the first time

New Albany, Indiana
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Couple in late 50"s travelling to Alaska for the first time

We are travelling to Alaska for 2 weeks in June. We are flying into Anchorage and out of Juneau, and plan to rent a car and see Denali, Kenai peninsula, and perhaps Valdez before flying to Juneau. We plan to stay in hotels or B&B's, like to hike, and want to see as much scenery and wildlife as possible including glaciers. We are not interested in a multiday cruise, but want to take at least one or two day cruises. Our budget is in the $500 to $600 per day range not including air fare.

Are we being too ambitious with our itinerary?

In Juneau, is it worhwhile to see Sitka on the marine highway, and if so will we need a car? Or would a trip to Glacier Bay be better for scenery?

In Denali, how do we get around? Are the shuttle buses dependable? Should we try to stay inside the park?

Thanks,

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,087 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couple in late 50"s travelling to Alaska for the first time

Two weeks is not a lot of time to see both areas.....how many days will you be in Juneau ?.....

If this is your first (and maybe only) time to Alaska, I would choose Glacier Bay over Sitka......the ferry only goes there twice a week during the summer, so you would need to ferry one way and fly the other way......Take the boat tour of Glacier Bay......

If you had a full seven days after leaving Anchorage you could probably do all three.....Fly into Gustavus/Glacier Bay from Anchorage, stay two days, ferry or fly to Juneau stay 3 days and ferry to Sitka stay two days, fly home from Sitka.......I would recommend a rental car for Juneau and at least for one day in Sitka......

If you do not see whales on your Glacier Bay boat tour, you can book one in Juneau with guaranteed sightings, or you would have a good chance of seeing them from the ferry right before you get into Sitka.....

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Couple in late 50"s travelling to Alaska for the first time

Welcome to TA-AK, linda.

How long exactly for each of the 2 portions of the trip?

To go into Denali beyond mile 14 is by shuttle bus. The shuttle buses are one of the best deals in the state, in my humble opinion.

Take a look at the lodging options within the park at Kantishna. I know Camp Denali hiking program is outstanding.

I've stayed at Wonder Lake camping but never back at Kantishna at the lodges. I know we have some trip reports that include Kantishna lodging in our Trip Reports.

Edited: 23 December 2013, 20:32
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,160 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Couple in late 50"s travelling to Alaska for the first time

Is that budget per day just for lodging or are you including food and activities in that as well?

4. Re: Couple in late 50"s travelling to Alaska for the first time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2014, 06:17