We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommandations for shore excursions

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
Save Topic
Recommandations for shore excursions

Hello Everyone,

We are family of three (myself, spouse and a 3.5 year old kid) are travelling to alaska in August 2014 and we have booked crown princess cruiseline. We are from Singapore. Below is our itinerary:

7th August : arrival at anchorage ard 10.00pm

8th August : Anchorage (Please suggest some good attraction in anchorage or near by places)

9th August : Anchorage and boarding the ship at night for cruise (Please suggest some good attraction in anchorage or near by places)

10th August : Hubbard Glacier, Scenic Cruising(arrival at 3pm)- please suggest wat should we do ?

11th August : Glacier Bay national Park, Scenic Cruising(Arrival 9.15AM) - Please suggest wat should we do ?

12th August : Skagway(Arrival at 7 AM) - please Suggest

13th August : Juneau (Arrival at 6.30 AM) - Please Suggest

14th August : Ketchikan (Arrival at 10.00 AM) - Please Suggest

16th August : Vancouver (Arrival at 7.30 AM ) - Please Suggest

For our 3.5 yr old son (he will be 4 at the time of travel), we want to do whale watching, bearviewing and dog sledding. i hope he enjoys it ! And for ourselves we are thinking to do glacier landing. Please suggest some good site for glacier landing.

Separately, pls advice as we are from singapore is it advisable to drive in Anchorage ?

please give us your valuable inputs.

TIA.

MANSI

Glacier Bay National Park & Preserve
National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Bodies of Water
Misty Fjords National Monument
Monuments & Statues, Geologic Formations, National Parks
Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park
Historic Sites, Visitor Centres, National Parks, State Parks
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
18,532 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommandations for shore excursions

G'day vaishman, and welcome to the TA frums.

I cannot help with Anchorage but advise the following for the cruise:

1. Hubbard Glacier is a cruising day. The ship stops near the glacier for viewing and the best spot to be would be out on the deck to listen to the sounds of the glacier and perhaps catch a calving episode. Some people with balconies stay in their cabins to view, and the ship does a 180 turn so both sides experience that, but those people only get half the viewing time which is why many of us prefer to be on deck. Warning - it will be cold.

2. Glacier Bay National Park is also a cruising day in a very beautiful region. The ship will stop near the Marjorie Glacier - see point 1 above. There may be whale sightings while in the Bay but these are normally just blows in the distance.

3. The most popular excursion here is the White Pass & Yukon Railway for which if is recommended is added an extended trip by road into the Yukon with either Dyea Dave or Chilkoot Charters. Enjoyment of such a trip would depend on how well your son travels.

4. Juneau is the best spot for whale watching but you could strike a problem for your son. Harv and Marv are by far the most popular for this excursion but they have a no under 13 age policy. You may have better luck with AlaskaGalore or AKwhalewatching who are mentioned on the H&M web pages.

5. Ketchikan has a duck tour which is by all accounts good fun for the kids. Also the Lumberjack show is very good for kids, although at 4 years your son may not appreciate it. You could also take a walk up Creek Street as I think the salmon may be running at that time - one of the locals may be able to advise better in that regard.

6. Glacier landings are available from a couple of the ports but are also the most frequently cancelled excursions due to weather factors. Have a look at Temsco, Coastal Helicopters, Era.

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommandations for shore excursions

Hi Frommy,

Thanks alot for your prompt response.

So based on your inputs my understanding is :

1. Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay National Park - we should not do in excursions. Stay on the deck only.

2. I will check about Skagway , juneau and Ketchikan attractions.

3. Any idea which place is good for dog sledding and bear viewing?

4. Is it worth going to seward? Kenai Fjord?

Thanks

3. Juneau

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,748 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommandations for shore excursions

Do you want to do dogsledding on land or on the snow/ice? If on the snow/ice you might run into a problem with the minimum age for doing it. A 4 year old probably is not allowed. Skagway and Juneau both have dogsled rides on a wheeled cart.

Bear viewing will be tough. The best place by far is Denali National Park, but you won't have time to get there from Anchorage. Any bear viewing on a cruise route would be a fly-in and also probably with a minimum age. Pack Creek is near Juneau, but I am not sure you will find a vendor who will do it with a 4 year old.

I think even for you who drive on the "other" side of the road, driving in Alaska should be easy. There is only one road heading north and south from Anchorage. If you drive west you head into the ocean and if you drive east you head into the mountains. You can hardly get lost. Having a car for 8 August would help you cover a lot more ground. If it were me, I would rent a car for that one day and drive along Turnagain Arm (south of Anchorage). Lots you can do with a child in that area. Stop at Potter Marsh looking for moose, maybe gold panning at Indian Creek or Crow Creek Mine, stop in Girdwood and do the hand tram on the Winner Creek Trail, the Wildlife Conservation Center, Byron Glacier hike (1 mile), the Begich Boggs Visitor Center with hands on displays and stuffed wildlife, plus more.

You will have to figure what you want to do on the cruise departure day and if you want to perhaps do a Prince William Sound tour. It could work out that you stay in Anchorage on August 8th, then rent a car one-way with Avis from Anchorage to Whittier on August 9th. You can do all the activities I mentioned above on August 9th then drop the car off in Whittier by 6pm and board the ship. It would cost you about $300 for the one-way car rental for a day. But that is a great deal for maximizing your limited time.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
18,532 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommandations for shore excursions

There are no excursions at Hubbard or in Glacier Bay National Park.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,966 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommandations for shore excursions

And just to clarify... You won't be boarding your ship in Anchorage. You'll be boarding in either Seward or Whittier, depending on the cruise line. I would suggest you track that detail down.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,778 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommandations for shore excursions

AKStafford asks an important question regarding where your ship departs from...

It is unlikely you board the ship in Anchorage (very few cruise ships come into Anchorage). It is more likely you board in Whittier or Seward. This is important as to when and where/how we (readers) would suggest local activities.

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommandations for shore excursions

Yes.. we will be boarding tge cruise from whittier.

8. Re: Recommandations for shore excursions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 January 2014, 16:35
9. Re: Recommandations for shore excursions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2015, 05:19