We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any town or city in Arctic Alaska that's worth a visit?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Any town or city in Arctic Alaska that's worth a visit?

Dear fellow travelers,

I will have 3 days in Fairbanks in mid-March and I'd like to spend a day in one of the arctic Alaskan cities/ towns, such as Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, which are reachable by Alaska Airlines, or one of those villages that Warbelow's Bush Mail Flight flies. This seems much more interesting than taking the arctic circle ground tour, which only gets to the border of the arctic circle where the sign is located.

Could anyone please advise me how i can spend a day in one of these places to experience the Alaskan life?

There are many museums or tours and many of them won't be open/ available in March and so this makes it difficult. However, I really wanna make this a life-time experience 'coz I don't think I will return to this area in the future... unless it's really amazing.

Thank you very much!!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any town or city in Arctic Alaska that's worth a visit?

Depending on "when" in mid March, Nome may still be having Iditarod finishers arriving. That could be very interesting, if you are so inclined.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,520 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any town or city in Arctic Alaska that's worth a visit?

True what Von said, but you would probably be sleeping on the floor of a school if you spent the night. But I don't think there are direct flights between Fairbanks and Nome.

Kotzebue requires a connection in Anchorage too.

Barrow is possible, but no longer as a day trip.

So you have to figure out what you want to do. Will you also be in Anchorage? Will you have been to Denali?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any town or city in Arctic Alaska that's worth a visit?

Thanks for the reply. I will be arriving in Anchorage on 3/20, and leaving Alaska from Anchorage on 3/25. I don't plan on spending much time in Anchorage, and so I am considering ANC > anywhere in the Bush > Fairbanks > ANC.

Denali I heard will be closed in March and I guess driving in that area wouldn't be too easy.

Any more suggestions are greatly appreciated and will certainly help a whole lot. Thank you!

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,617 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any town or city in Arctic Alaska that's worth a visit?

Deanli is always open ad the visitor center will loan you snow shoes if you would like to go for a hike. Driving will really depend on the weather, in general the roads are clear and the driving is not too difficult though you should be prepared for snow or ice.

Do you just want to do a day trip and not spend the night? Have you thought about Bettles, you could do something like this:http://www.bettleslodge.com/arctic/winter/prices.htm

5. Re: Any town or city in Arctic Alaska that's worth a visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2015, 05:19