We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

knik glacier kayaking

Tennessee
Level Contributor
218 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
knik glacier kayaking

Has anyone recently kayaked at Knik Glacier?? I am looking for somewhere that I can kayak with some icebergs in calm water but not spend a small fortune doing it... if you have kayaked Knik Glacier recently, did you do it with the air boat cruise??

I am wanting to kayak reasonably in calm waters... I have seen Bear Glacier ($$$) which has calm water, and also Blackstone ($$) which I am not sure if it is calm, and then Aialik Glacier tour ($$) but has calving glaciers and maybe not bigger icebergs... now understand I am not wanting to get crazy around the icebergs, I just want to kayak where I can see them... thanks -- if there are any other options besides Columbia Glacier which is out of the question as we are not heading that way please let me know, thank you... btw we will be in Mat-Su Valley, Girdwood, Seward, Anchorage, Denali areas prior to our cruise --- thanks a bunch :)

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,504 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: knik glacier kayaking

Have you looked into Spencer Glacier, I know the Railroad has a raft float but I also thought they had a canoe trip.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
218 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: knik glacier kayaking

No I haven't looked into that trip... we are going to be there in May and I am reading that it doesn't start until June 1st by railroad?? I will do some more research - thank you :)

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,504 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: knik glacier kayaking

When will you be around in May? Does the Knik Glacier kayak schedule trips in May? I have been out by the glacier in early/mid May and the entire area was still frozen. You don't usually get to see icebergs until things start warming up a bit.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: knik glacier kayaking

Good thought, spacefry. Knik River Lodge starts it's kayak tours on June 1st also.

knikriverlodge.com/helicopter-tours/alaska-g…

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,504 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: knik glacier kayaking

Just thinking that I had been out there on a 4 wheeler Memorial Day weekend one time and it was still a bit frozen.

6. Re: knik glacier kayaking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2015, 06:19