We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle to Alaska... Cassiar Highway vs. West Access

Hilton, New York
14 posts
Save Topic
Seattle to Alaska... Cassiar Highway vs. West Access

I will be making the trip from Western NY to Alaska again this summer but will be entering Canada through Seattle. I am simply looking for opinions on which highway from Seattle to the Alaska Highway (Cassiar Highway vs. The Milepost West Access Route to Dawson Creek) people like better and why?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,520 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seattle to Alaska... Cassiar Highway vs. West Access

When will you be coming up? That can make a difference, but much of the choice is personal preference. I like the Cassiar over the Alcan, but that is me - I think it is more scenic and you can take a side trip to Hyder. Get the Milepost and happy driving! :)

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,599 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seattle to Alaska... Cassiar Highway vs. West Access

I've done both. The Cassiar was more scenic, but services are non existent except for at Dease Lake. If you run into issues it'll be a lot more challenging to deal with.

So personally for me, I would be going the traditional Alcan.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,947 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seattle to Alaska... Cassiar Highway vs. West Access

I've done the drive from the lower 48 to AK several times (between 2005 and 20110 and have done several different routings. I far prefer the Cassier Highway over the more eastern ALCAN. For me it's all about the scenery and wildlife viewing opportunities.

Given the time and resources my drive north would be as in this Google Map link:

http://goo.gl/maps/41fYu

I love the Stewart/Hyder area and try to spend at least 2 days there.

IMO Carcross is very interesting and Emerald Lake (near Carcross) is beautiful. Since at this point I'm close, I head down to Skagway and take the ferry to Haines. The drive out of (or too) Haines is amazing.

Good luck,

Scott

Hilton, New York
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Seattle to Alaska... Cassiar Highway vs. West Access

It will be late May or early June

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,075 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seattle to Alaska... Cassiar Highway vs. West Access

Are you planning to camp or to stay in motels ??.....The answer to that may help you to choose......

Hilton, New York
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Seattle to Alaska... Cassiar Highway vs. West Access

I plan to sleep out in the woods in my sleeping bag but I was just curious what highways people like better. I am not too worried about the details and I already have a milepost

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,947 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seattle to Alaska... Cassiar Highway vs. West Access

yocb...

Did you do the drive last year that you were planning?

If so, would love to read about it if you had time to put something together for us (TA readers).

Hilton, New York
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Seattle to Alaska... Cassiar Highway vs. West Access

Yes I did... It was great which is why I am coming back. I would love to share. I wish I had kept a journal. What would you like to see put together?

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
320 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Seattle to Alaska... Cassiar Highway vs. West Access

I like the Cassiar. Turn west at every opportunity and do an in-and-out. You won't regret it. Why doesn't anybody ever think about Atlin? Turn left (south) about 60 miles short of Whitehorse and do another in-and-out.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,947 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seattle to Alaska... Cassiar Highway vs. West Access

"Yes I did... It was great which is why I am coming back. I would love to share. I wish I had kept a journal. What would you like to see put together?"

List dates/itinerary, a few places you saw, activities you did, things that really impressed you (since you are coming back), things that did not impress you.

Will you repeat anything you did or are you trying new things/places?

tks