We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2-weeks, initial questions to get us started

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
373 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
2-weeks, initial questions to get us started

We plan on 2-weeks in Anchorage, Kenai Fjords and Denali areas. Reading a lot of posts here, and need to start solidifying plans. Flying in and out of Anchorage. Dates in June 2014, but not set yet. 2 couples, one active/exercising couple in 40's/50's and one couple (my parents) in upper 60's, but also pretty active. Love scenery and outdoors, looking for fantastic scenery and wildlife viewing (of course...)

Some initial questions....

1. Us young ones :) would like to rent a motorcycle for 2 or 3 days and do a nice loop in and out of Anchorage - need ideas/route. We plan to go to Seward & Kenai Fjords and Up to Denali with my parents. This MC trip would just be the two of us, so looking for a route we won't travel going to those locations if possible. If not possible, then we can take the MC towards Seward / KF and back while they take a car or otherwise. Ideas on a route to go out somewhere, spend the night, then come back (or possibly 2 nights)?

2. How would we best split the time of 2 weeks? Anchorage to Seward/KF and then up to Denali or Anchorage to Denali, back to Anchorage and Seward/KF. How many days in each area? Should we add another location if there 14-days?

3. I think I read somewhere that it's not a great idea (cost-wise) to do a 1-way car rental from Anchorage to Denali area? We were planning on taking train to Denali, but read that it is a slow ride and having a car is nice in Denali. We don't mind the slow ride if it is beautiful scenery, but if possible to take train one-way and car the other, that would be ideal.

We'll have many more questions, but this is a good start to compliment other things I've been reading.

Thanks!

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,304 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2-weeks, initial questions to get us started

Hmmm.... I'm not sure there's any place in Anchorage that rents motorcycles.

A one way car rental to/from Denali is not possible. Driving to Denali is quicker and gives you many more lodging and dining options.

If a train ride is a must do, you could do Spencer Glacier trip.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,304 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2-weeks, initial questions to get us started

Well, I was wrong. Not the first time...

The House of Harley rents motorcycles: www.harleyalaska.com/custompage.asp…

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,309 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2-weeks, initial questions to get us started

Maybe you could go from Anchorage to Matanuska Glacier area for a couple of days. Great views and you could do some hiking on Matanuska Glacier, ride to Independence Mine, etc.

Re: car at Denali. It is quite helpful. Plus, the train pretty much parallels the road along that stretch, so the scenery is not much different.

With 14 days, you could easily go to Denali, Seward and Homer and even Fairbanks if it is of interest to you. Figure three nights in each place and that is 9 nights. You will need a night in Anchorage upon arrival and a night between Seward and Denali. So that is 11 nights or 12 days. You could add a night or two in Girdwood. There is lots to do/see in that area too.

Anchorage Alaska
Level Contributor
819 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2-weeks, initial questions to get us started

Having rode Hogs on almost all roads in Alaska, IMHO the road to the Mat-Su Glacier area is one of the best on a MC, that and the road to Seward. Be extremely careful riding in Alaska, especially the road to Seward, as the cage drivers in Alaska do not watch for MCs very well.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2-weeks, initial questions to get us started

You might also keep in mind that you will need to either bring or rent proper rain gear with that motorcycle.....summer time can bring quite a bit of rain in Alaska......I often see long distance motorcycle groups riding over the pass between here and the Yukon and when the weather is not cooperating, they really look miserable.........

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
373 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2-weeks, initial questions to get us started

Thanks for the feedback to help us start planning! Yes, HD in Alaska rents and most places rent rain gear too - I'll double check though, thanks for the reminder. We just rented in Tuscany, Italy and the rain gear was needed for a little and we were happy to have it! I'm sure we'll have many more questions....

7. Re: 2-weeks, initial questions to get us started

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2015, 07:17