We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is better - sailing north or south?

East Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
What is better - sailing north or south?

We are planning on a cruise to Alaska and have searched this forum, but do not understand the answer to this question asked by someone else....

Which way is better for cruising Northbound from Vancouver to Whittier or Southbound to Vancouver from Whittier. Does it matter which side of the ship we book?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,427 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is better - sailing north or south?

If you found a/the answer it would help if you posted the link to the question for other readers to consider and perhaps better explain it for you.

IMO I'd look at what ports each cruise stopped at and compare those.

Side of ship...

Do you want to look predominatly at land or ocean?

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,571 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is better - sailing north or south?

As sdpryde said, itinerary is the key. For example most Princess ships NB call at College Fjords, while the same ships SB call at Hubbard Glacier. Both cruise in the truly beautiful Glacier Bay National Park (that is a must for any cruise IMO). HAL NB call at the usual three ports, while the SB call at Haines instead of Skagway. Both include Glacier Bay NP. Norwegian Sun cruises Glacier Bay and calls at Hubbard NB only then Hoonah and Tracy Arm SB and not GBNP. No other one-way cruises visit GBNP where only 2 ships are allowed to enter each day.

As for port or starboard, I disagree with sdpryde in that I believe that it does not matter. From Vancouver you first sail between Vancouver Island and the mainland, so there is scenery both sides. Once in the Inside Passage there is scenery on both sides as well, but most of the sailing there is done at night to spend the days in the ports. Near the glaciers it does not matter as if you have a veranda and stay in your cabin as the ship does a 180 turn for equal viewing on both sides (although by far the best spot to be on these days is out on the open foredeck so you get double the time to watch and listen to the glacier). Outside of the northern end of the Passage you are in the open ocean of the Gulf of Alaska a long way from shore anyway.

Just my .02c worth.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,571 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is better - sailing north or south?

(Edit time ran out)

I forgot to mention that my observations on the itineraries above is for 2014 cruises and most lines have not yet released their 2015 schedules.

A very good site to research itineraries for comparison purposes is CruiseAlaska. Near the top of the page there is a tab for "Cruise Calendar" which lists all sailings on a daily basis for any given month. Clicking on the name of any ship will then bring up the itinerary.

www.cruisealaska.com/…

4. Re: What is better - sailing north or south?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2015, 06:38