We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Philips Glacier Quest Cruise or Major Marine Kenai Fjord Tr

essex
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Philips Glacier Quest Cruise or Major Marine Kenai Fjord Tr

Would anyone be able to give their opinion on which trip would be best as I can only do one. I am planning a half day boat/ferry Juneau/Skagway aswell.

I am sorry if I should have put this in my original itinerary post.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,304 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Philips Glacier Quest Cruise or Major Marine Kenai Fjord Tr

I like glaciers better than wildlife. So I'm doing a Prince William Sound glacier cruise out of Whittier over a Kenai Fjords trip out of Seward.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Philips Glacier Quest Cruise or Major Marine Kenai Fjord Tr

Depends on your primary interests & personal preferences but I would go for a Major Marine PWS cruise..... Smaller boat, closer to the wildlife, more intimate experience and relaxed pace. If you want to cover more ocean and see more locations quickly - Philips would be the pick.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,309 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Philips Glacier Quest Cruise or Major Marine Kenai Fjord Tr

If I did the cruise in PWS I would use Major Marine not Phillips. The Major Marine boats seemed much less crowded when I took two PWS tours last summer. I think Phillips contracts with the cruise lines and other operators so they are more full.

The longer you are on the water the better. So the Esther Passage tour in PWS or the 6 or 9 hour tours from Seward are better than the shorter ones.

essex
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Philips Glacier Quest Cruise or Major Marine Kenai Fjord Tr

Thank you to all who posted. I know it's a lot to do with individual preference I'm trying to pare down my itinerary from absolutely ridiculously expensive to .......... Once in a lifetime!

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Philips Glacier Quest Cruise or Major Marine Kenai Fjord Tr

Any wildlife you see from the ferry would be sea lions and seals and birds......rarely, rarely will you see a whale from the ferry and the glaciers you see between Juneau and Skagway will be high on the surrounding mountains, no calving activity......

Maybe some of the others could add to my observations......in Prince William Sound you will likely see sea otters which you will not see from your ferry trip......

bedford
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Philips Glacier Quest Cruise or Major Marine Kenai Fjord Tr

Sajjy..hope you don't mind if I chime in and ask a question as I have been trying to make the same decision, and have been reading a LOT of threads.

I read a lot if you want wildlife take the Fjords toward out of Seward, but if you want glaciers take the PWS.

BUT it appears that both get the glaciers. So is the idea with the Fjords that you have the POSSIBILITY of seeing whales more then in PWS. But both see birds, and otters etc.

It also looks as tho the PWS is calmer waters if people are prone to sea sickness right.

PA
Level Contributor
798 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Philips Glacier Quest Cruise or Major Marine Kenai Fjord Tr

I have done a cruise out of Whittier (not glacier quest) and a Kenai Fjord cruise. You are correct bgsnmky about the logistics. We did see a humpback breach in Prince William Sound but that was very unexpected and we were told very uncommon. We saw lots of humbacks and orcas (some breaching) along with much other wildlife on the Kenai Fjords trip. Also more time on the water in Kenai Fjords. The focus out of Whittier is glacier viewing but we did see glaciers in Kenai Fjords and even ate lunch while watching one calve on our small boat tour.

My opinion is that I would do both of them again but if I could only repeat one of the trips it would be the Kenai Fjords tour since there is a better chance for wildlife viewing and I still get the glaciers.

Hope this helps some.

8. Re: Philips Glacier Quest Cruise or Major Marine Kenai Fjord Tr

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2015, 05:18