We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short duration kenai river fishing?

California
Level Contributor
114 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Short duration kenai river fishing?

We are looking for some assistance with fishing along the Kenai River. Our family of 3 including our 16 year old son will be in Cooper Landing the last week of July. None of us have any fishing experience, but were considering trying it while we are there. I have seen several companies that do half day river fishing guided trips. I was wondering how those were. I would imagine for avid fishermen, a half day would be too short, but were were even thinking about something less, like 2-3 hours. Any leads on where I might find something like that? Here in CA I would check Craig's list. Is there someplace I might find people offering those types of services? Would they help us with cleaning the fish? I don't think it matters what type of fish...

Thanks

port republic
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short duration kenai river fishing?

With no experience a guide is essential. End of July

should be a late sockeye run. Yes, they will clean your catch, and fish processer that will vacume seal and freeze the catch are easy to find

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,161 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short duration kenai river fishing?

We did a half day silver charter and caught nothing . . . so in our case, it would have been nice to have more time. If everyone on your boat/charter catches the limit, the trip will end early. That has never happened for us fishing for salmon, but it did on our halibut charter.

As for cleaning and processing, every place is different so be sure you know what your charter includes and what extra costs you can expect. When we did a king salmon half day charter, "Smitty" was the guy our charter used for processing. He charged by the pound to clean, package and flash freeze. As it turned out, he also skimmed 2# of fillets from our catch. When the fish were cleaned and packaged, we had 16# of packaged fillets. When it arrived to our house via FedEX overnight, there were just 14# in the shipment.

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
5,161 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short duration kenai river fishing?

Yup; with no experience, or gear, a guide is the way to go. There are plenty of good guides available in cooper landing, the 1/2 day trips you're seeing are probably what you want, 3-4 hrs on the water. One thing to keep in mind...Cooper landing is great trout fishing water, but as bushwacker mentioned, the 2nd run red salmon should be running good then and I'd think for novices a few hours fishing them would be a better fit. Often they'll pull up on a secluded spot along the river and you can fish for reds from the bank. Just check with any potential guides to make sure they're offering the kind of trip you want so you know what to expect. Guides usually fillet and bag fish for you.

Edited: 02 February 2014, 17:10
California
Level Contributor
114 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short duration kenai river fishing?

Thanks for the fishing info. More research ahead...

5. Re: Short duration kenai river fishing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 February 2014, 23:05
California
Level Contributor
114 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short duration kenai river fishing?

Thànk you. I think I found the company that will fit with our needs.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Short duration kenai river fishing?

Glad it worked out, shgo!

Around the last week of July is when we would make our reservations at Russian River campground for the 2nd run of reds & have always done fairly well, so hopefully good timing!

Good luck & have fun!

Edited: 04 February 2014, 13:49
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Short duration kenai river fishing?

What company are you going with? I'm looking for half day river fishing too.

California
Level Contributor
114 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Short duration kenai river fishing?

kstina856 - I narrowed it down to 2 companies.

Alaska Rivers Company: 1/2 day red Salmon = $120 per person

Kenai River Drifters Lodge : 1/2 day reds or trout = $200 per person, but there is a 2 for 1 coupon in the Northern Lights coupon book that I purchased.

We have chosen the 2nd company because they have a 3 hour river float that I will do while my husband and son fish. It also works out a little cheaper due to the coupon. The other company had only a 2 hour float for me...I think! Both help clean the fish :-)

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
5,161 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Short duration kenai river fishing?

shgo; we did the 3 hr float (with the coupon) with Drifters last year and really enjoyed it. Have fun, and good luck to the fishermen!