We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One way RV/car rental from Anchorage/Fairbanks to Seattle?

Fairbanks, Alaska
2 posts
Save Topic
One way RV/car rental from Anchorage/Fairbanks to Seattle?

Hello,

Myself and a companion (both adults) are planning to move from our longtime home of interior Alaska to the east coast of the lower 48 this spring. The problem is that my small sedan is probably not up for the trip, so it will most likely be sold beforehand (we're moving to an area with lots of public transportation). We really can't fly because we have one large adult dog who is very skittish and motion sick and has never travelled long distance, and after doing a lot of research we've decided that it's just not a safe option.

So, the only real alternatives seem to be either an RV (preferred) or car (preferably an SUV/Minivan) rental to at least Seattle. We can probably figure it out ourselves from there. However, it seems that one-way rentals from Alaska are hard to find. We also know it will be expensive, but are willing to cover it.

I know this is a somewhat unusual situation and the options are probably quite limited, but we're feeling a bit stuck and would appreciate any advice that could be provided.

Thanks very much for your time!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,119 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One way RV/car rental from Anchorage/Fairbanks to Seattle?

I don't know of any one-way rentals from Alaska to the lower 48 except in the fall when the companies might want to get cars to places like Seattle.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,079 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One way RV/car rental from Anchorage/Fairbanks to Seattle?

One way rentals between Alaska & the lower 48 has been discussed often on this forum. Some of the RV places do one ways to Alaska in the spring but that's about the only one way rentals that happen.

Have you considered the ferry? I t books up early, but you could go Whittier to Juneau and then Juneau to Bellingham. And it will be more expensive than flying or driving.

Wait... Uhaul will do one way rentals with their vans. Maybe rent the smallest one they've got? That won't be cheap either.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One way RV/car rental from Anchorage/Fairbanks to Seattle?

Brilliant idea with Uhaul AKStafford!

I posted about the ferry in his own familiar car for the dog, but then I saw it's a very long, multi-day ride so deleted it. But you can go down in the hold at regular intevals to walk the dog in the potty area.

UHaul is the best answer!

Perhaps also post on the UAA bulletin board to share a ride & pay gas.

Edited: 02 February 2014, 13:29
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One way RV/car rental from Anchorage/Fairbanks to Seattle?

Oops- that should be UAF!

Fairbanks, Alaska
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: One way RV/car rental from Anchorage/Fairbanks to Seattle?

Hi,

Thanks very much for your suggestions! It definitely seems like UHaul is the best way to go. I'll just have to look into what the best model would be.

Thanks again!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,164 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One way RV/car rental from Anchorage/Fairbanks to Seattle?

If Uhaul is a possibility for you, they have 10', 14', 17', and 20' trucks. Price will likely be somewhere between $1800 & $2400 with an 8 day limit on Fairbanks to Seattle.

I'd ask them if any of these vehicles have a sliding door between the truck cab and the box. That way your dog would have easy access to his/her humans.

Good luck,

Scott

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One way RV/car rental from Anchorage/Fairbanks to Seattle?

Traveling with a dog these are the hotels we used between Eagle River and Portland: Golden Bear (TOK), Westmark (Whitehorse), Nugget City Cabins (Watson Lake), Super 8 (Fort Nelson), Dawson creek (Days Inn), Coast Frasier Inn (Williams Lake) & Days Inn (Abbotsford).

We booked about a day or two ahead of arrival since we did not have a planned itinerary. Dawson was the only place that we struggled in finding a room, lots of oil/gas workers in town.

Mansfield...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: One way RV/car rental from Anchorage/Fairbanks to Seattle?

My sister and i intend to travel from the UK fly to Seattle then hire a car to drive to Anchorage, is there a car hire company that allows one way rentals to Alaska?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,573 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One way RV/car rental from Anchorage/Fairbanks to Seattle?

Deborah - we don't know of any companies that allow one way rental cars from anywhere in the lower 48 to Alaska. Sorry. What would you like to do? :)

Mansfield...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: One way RV/car rental from Anchorage/Fairbanks to Seattle?

We will have to fly from Seattle if not possible to drive, thank you for your reply.