We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise ship

rsa
australia
Level Contributor
780 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise ship

Hello,

We are planning to visit friends in Ketchikan and thought that we would hop on a cruise ship Anchorage to Vancouver, but get off in Ketchikan.

Is this possible to do, and how would we do it?

I think we would have to pay for the full cruise fare from Anchorage to Vancouver. Is this correct.?

I have contacted Vacations to go, and they have advised me that it would not be possible, via their website. Maybe I would have to deal direct with a cruise ship company rather than a third person.

Looking forward to replies.

Regards

RSA

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,442 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise ship

G'day rsa,

I agree with the advice from VTG. You would need the explicit permission of the ships' Captain.

Have you thought of perhaps taking the AMHS ferry from either Bellingham, WA, just across the US border from Vancouver. They leave every Friday and Saturday during summer and arrive Sunday and Monday. Another option might be to catch a ferry from Prince Rupert BC, but that is a long way north from Vancouver.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/

Edited: 07 February 2014, 03:12
rsa
australia
Level Contributor
780 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise ship

Hi Frommy,

Many thanks for your reply.

Yes, I have looked into the AMHS Ferry, but I thought we could enjoy a cruising holiday, prior to visiting our friends in Ketchikan. Therefore , cutting out the airfare from Anchorage to Ketchikan.

When we cruised Alaska on Celebrity Infinity, I did see people getting on and off at a couple of ports. They did have luggage in hand, but could have been staff, performers etc.

Regards

RSA

Edited: 07 February 2014, 03:47
Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,548 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise ship

Is there anything that these guys do that would work for you?: http://www.un-cruise.com/alaska-cruises

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,085 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise ship

I have read of people getting off a cruise ship early. This is something you need to contact the cruiseline directly for. Since Customer Service is not always accurate, I would call a few times and speak with different agents and also email so you have some paper trail of sorts. I would even ask for a supervisor rather than speaking to someone newly hired who may not know the most accurate info.

What I am not sure about is if you get off in Ketchikan you have not visited a foreign port. This might complicate matters. People I have read who got off an AK ship early were getting off in Victoria so they made their required stop to a foreign port. On the itinerary you are looking at you would never get to Vancouver, the foreign port.

If a foreign port stop is required you might want to look for a round trip cruise out of Seattle that visits Ketchikan as their last port.

Good luck!!

Edited: 07 February 2014, 12:22
Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,111 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise ship

I know Princess offers transfers between the ship in Vancouver to SEA (Seattle-Tacoma Airport). You could fly back to Ketchikan from there. BTW the cost of the shuttle is less than flying to SEA

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,832 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise ship

Once you are off of a ship at a port, there is nothing they could do to force you to get back on a boat at any port. There are no "cruise ship police" to chase you down, hand-cuff you and carry you up the gangway.

I'm not sure the ship's staff would get your luggage off of the boat, but you could do that yourself (easier if disembarking via gangway versus a tender).

IMO, it would be imperative to notify the captain that you were not returning to the vessel (I'd do this once off of the ship). This would save them from having to search for you and avoid possible delays in the vessel leaving port.

I'm not saying this is right, wrong, nice, evil, good, bad, etc. It's just possible and not that difficult.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,085 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruise ship

I would not wait to inform the captain. I would pre-arrange this with the cruiseline. The lack of a foreign port is the possible issue. Again, I highly recommend you contact the cruiselines you are looking at and get first hand information. I would not rely on any travel forum poster, including myself, for something like this. Get it straight with the cruiseline.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,442 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruise ship

"The lack of a foreign port is the possible issue."

That would only be a potential problem from a cruise sailing from Seattle, not Vancouver. The PVSA would not apply in the latter case.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,085 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cruise ship

Frommy, does it make a difference though since they are cruising from Anchorage and would never visit a foreign port if they got off in Ketchikan?

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,442 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cruise ship

Whoops. Your are correct happytrav. Sorry. Somehow I assumed all along it was from Vancouver, right from my very first post to this thread.

rsa,

What we are talking about is the antiquated US Passenger Vessel Service Act 1886 which prohibits non US flagged ships from conveying passengers between two points within the USA without docking at a foreign port. That is why Seattle based round trip cruises dock at Victoria BC. This could very well be a problem as the ship could be fined for doing so. I think the Captain has to pay in such circumstances, but not sure about that.

Edited: 08 February 2014, 04:24