We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska Honeymoon

Pittsburgh...
4 posts
Save Topic
Alaska Honeymoon

Hi There,

I'm looking for advice for both inner Alaska (preferably Denali National park) and glacier sight seeing for our honeymoon in May 2014. We also want to visit Vancouver for a couple of days but this is flexible during the 12 day honeymoon. We plan to visit between may 27th and June 6th. My fiancée and I will be the only two travelers. We are both in our late 20's. I really don't want to be around huge touristy crows and prefer smaller groups. I'd rent a car but neither of us are wilderness savy. We are interested in guided afternoon/morning hiking, wildlife and wildflower viewing, small glacier sight seeing tours, low intensity glacier river rafting tours, and possible salmon fishing. I hear the train tours are a great way to travel but it looks like you get very little time to stretch your legs. The photographs of Denali National Park are amazing and I would really like to work some park day hikes into our trip.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaska Honeymoon

Welcome to TA-AK! Congrats on the honeymoon!

It's easier to drive in Alaska than it is in Pittsburg! No need to be wilderness savy. Most of us recommend a rental car so you can travel independently without the groups.

The trains are slow, but you can get up & walk around to stretch your legs all you want.

You could always do a cruise up from Vancouver & then a land trip on your own with a rental car to Denali.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,798 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaska Honeymoon

You got a nice length of time for a AK land trip.

As you plan I'd keep Denali towards the end of your trip (shuttle goes further into park then). Also if you want Anchorage activities, I normally say use the last days, but in this trip I might use the 1st day or two as many other areas you might want to visit may still have some winter.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alaska Honeymoon

Good catch, Scott.

For Denali, plan to be at the park June 1 or after to be able to take a shuttle to Eielson visitor center.

New York
Level Contributor
3,266 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alaska Honeymoon

With 12 days, I suggest a northbound cruise from Vancouver. Then your arrival day in Alaska, take either a Prince William sound boat tour, if you're in Whittier, or a Kenai fjords boat tour if in Seward. Then take the Alaska RR after the tour, overnighting in Anchorage.

Next day pick up a rental car and drive to Denali Park, have at least 2 nights in the area. Take the Eielson Shuttle bus in.

Head to your library and get a copy of THE MILEPOST.

Many attractions on the drive back. :)

Edited: 09 February 2014, 03:21
Pittsburgh...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Alaska Honeymoon

Thanks for the tip about Denali and the ideas about driving! We've been looking at tours out of Vancouver but they're all 7 day cruises. Does anyone know of any short cruises to Anchorage?

Edited: 09 February 2014, 21:25
Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alaska Honeymoon

Your typical cruise is 7 or more days for Alaska.

7. Re: Alaska Honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2015, 06:17