We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Being Bear Aware

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,215 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Being Bear Aware

I thought there was a Top Question here but couldn't find it, so I'm going to post the link to this blog which I think does a great job preparing folks for travel wherever grizzlies may be encountered: …freeroamingphotography.com/5454/… .

Here is the link to another resource which has been shared here on TA in the past: nps.gov/wrst/…20Bears.pdf .

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas, Alaska
Level Contributor
5,233 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Being Bear Aware

Thanks for the link Von. Interesting read, but far to many "always" and "nevers" in there in my opinion. I love this gem...

"On a a similar note, no grizzly bear, or any predator, will ever go after a healthy adult animal, humans included."

BS...way to many documented bear attacks out there where a bear did exactly that. I think some of the writer's views border on Tim Treadwell dangerous.

I certainly don't think most grizzlys out there are on the prowl for humans as prey, but I do think encounters with them are far to unpredictable for some of the generalizations in that article.

He does give some good precautions at the end of the article.

Edited: 09 February 2014, 20:00
Jackson, Wyoming
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Being Bear Aware

On the contrary. Bear attacks seem to "always" stem from someone doing something irresponsible around a bear, or behaving in a way that would anger it. They will of course go after grown humans should those types of behaviors be exhibited, such as getting too close, running away, injuring it, etc. Under normal circumstances though, a bear has no reason to attack a human.

Also Timothy Treadwell's undoing was pushing his stay too far into the season. They stayed later than they had ever stayed which was after the salmon run had ended. Thus, food was becoming very scarce, and when he stood his ground against a grizzly, this time, the grizzly accepted his challenge. This would fall under acting irresponsibly around a grizzly.

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,233 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Being Bear Aware

Mike, I hate to argue with someone who lives in griz country, but I've read an awful lot on the subject and I think the first article Von posted includes some potentially dangerous advice. Obviously it's a loose correlation to Treadwell...I was speaking to his general attitude towards grizzlys, not the specifics that led to his attack.

Pretty common conclusion among grizzly experts that they're highly unpredictable animals, and one should NEVER assume they know what they will do, or how they will react to something.

Whats a "normal circumstance" anyway?? there are way to many instances of people doing very ordinary things and being attacked, when in reality there only mistake was BEING there.

No way it's sound advice to tell people a grizzly will never go after a healthy adult, just plain ridiculous.

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,233 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Being Bear Aware

Read "Bear attacks, their causes and avoidance" by Stephen Herrero. He teaches att the U of Calgary and is a leading authority on the subject of bears. I think you'll find his book informative.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,117 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Being Bear Aware

Also read the book "The Bear's Embrace" and you will never take a bear for granted again.......a totally unpredictable attack written by the woman who endured it.........of course be prepared by staying out of overgrown areas, avoiding bears with cubs, not running, not carrying food, not stalking the bear for pictures..... but still there can (and are) attacks are totally unprovoked.........

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Being Bear Aware

I like the 2nd link better, since it pertains specifically to Alaskan brown bears.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,752 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Being Bear Aware

I tend to agree more with MNman. I also don't like "always" and "never" since there are always exceptions.

Here is a little info from the Denali NP website about bear safety. It includes a 5 minute snippet of the backcountry orientation video they show to backcountry campers.

nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/bear-safety.htm

Edited: 10 February 2014, 05:31
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,215 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Being Bear Aware

Point taken . . . and I do agree with the use of absolutes (never, always, etc). Hopefully the blog will provide some useful information for folks,

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,233 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Being Bear Aware

thanks for the link FTI, more good info.

I went back and re-read the first link you posted Von, and like I said in my original response, the writer does offer some useful info, very much in line with the other link and the one FTI just posted.

It was the 4th paragraph in the article that I took exception to, and unfortunately, you never know whether someone just browsing thru will read the whole article, or which part they may buy into.

10. Re: Being Bear Aware

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 06:17