We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible Alaska trip in May 2014

San Diego
Level Contributor
101 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Possible Alaska trip in May 2014

We, (My husband and I, no kids) have decided to take a vacation mid-May. The where to go part is tough but Alaska is way up near the top of the list. It would be for 1 week. Leaving from San Diego, CA. The problem is, Alaska has so much to offer, and is huge. We have no idea where to start planning or looking.

What we're most interested in: Bears, Wildlife, Whales, Glaciers, History, Volcanoes, rafting (No experience).

Not interested in: Fishing or being shuffled around in large groups, cruise ships, moving locations more then twice (If possible) as we don't want it to feel rushed or stressful by having to change lodgings every couple days to do things.

The budget is not huge, 3500-3800, but that also includes spending money while there. Not sure what it's like there in May, but moving it around isn't an option.

Help? Thanks!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,631 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible Alaska trip in May 2014

A couple of key things:

(1) if it can't be moved, can you give us the exact dates (very pertinent).

(2) take some time to read the "Top Questions" and dome trip reports (top right of screen).

San Diego
Level Contributor
101 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible Alaska trip in May 2014

The week of May 17/18 through May 24/25.

And I have been, but with our interests kind of being all over the place, and knowing one location won't likely cover them all, so we will need to move at least once., I came to you guys to help out some.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible Alaska trip in May 2014

Shuttle buses into Denali start May 20 to Toklat for a chance for bear viewing.

Whales are a better bet out of Juneau, although folks do see them sometimes on cruises out of the Kenai ports.

Lots of glacier experiences, of course.

The volcanoes are visible on clear days from Anchorage & particularly down to Homer.

7 days is a short time for such a huge state.

First, you'll need to decide if you want to fly into Juneau to experience the southeast, or into Anchorage for southcentral and the interior.

4. Re: Possible Alaska trip in May 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2015, 07:18