We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Optional meal plan ?

St. Marys, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Optional meal plan ?

We are going to Alaska in August with Hal with their Y3C , Yukon plus Danali, land + sea journey. They offer an optional meal plan for the land portion. Is it worth it? Does anyone know which restaurants they send you to and which cities? Also what hotels do they put you up in at night? Any info would be helpful.

Thank you in advance

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,756 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Optional meal plan ?

From what I have read from others who have taken this tour, if you are even a moderate eater you should probably take the meal plan. This cruisetour goes through some rather small places with not a lot of choice for meals if you don't take them from the cruisetour.

I would have hoped you would have asked the hotel question before you booked the tour. I certainly would not pay that kind of money for a trip without knowing what types of hotels I would be staying in. But I guess that is just me, since many people seem to spend thousands of dollars on cruises and cruisetours and really don't know what they are even buying when they pay for it!

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,654 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Optional meal plan ?

For hotels I am guessing Westmark in Fairbanks and Whitehorse not sure about Dawson City but I bet that is Westmark too. There are not a lot of options for meals in Whitehorse/Dawson and all the Westmarks have restaurants in them so maybe that is where you would eat.

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
320 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Optional meal plan ?

WHAT?? There are LOTS of places to eat in Dawson and Whitehorse. Jamaican, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Mexican, German, Fusion, First Nations, Deli, Greek, Italian... I'd say the Westmarks would be the most boring of the lot! Live a little! Chuck the meal plan. (and while you're at it google restaurants Dawson, and restaurants Whitehorse and get some decent information.)

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,654 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Optional meal plan ?

I meant that the cruise tours would send you to on the meal plan not choices, sorry if I worded it wrong.

St. Marys, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Optional meal plan ?

Thank you all for the replies. We booked with Hal because of their reputation and a friend's referral.However it is difficult to get specific information from their web sites, brochures, etc. These forums are great for the wealth of info you people have. Thanks

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,756 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Optional meal plan ?

Remember that the bus for the cruisetour will stop at the restaurant THEY are eating at. Anything you want otherwise will need to be within walking distance. And they won't give you any more time than the others just because you are walking somewhere else.

Not that I am gung ho on cruisetours, but when you book one like this it really limits your options.

7. Re: Optional meal plan ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2015, 07:18