We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July trip - Itinerary help

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
July trip - Itinerary help

Hi TA friends!

I am trying to make an itinerary for my family's trip to Anchorage, tentatively for July 11-19 give or take a day. There will be 6 adults (ages 28-60) and possibly a 3 yr old child. We are arriving in Anchorage and renting a car. From there, I also want us to see Talkeetna, Denali, Seward, and Homer. SInce we will be there a short amount of time, I want to know what are the top destinations and tours at each location. Most of us have motion sickness so a boat or small plane may be out of the question. (I know, we'd be missing out on a lot!) We enjoy short hikes, fishing, and sightseeing. I definitely want us to see lots of wildlife. Also, would a day railroad trip be a waste of time?

Thanks in advance!!

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July trip - Itinerary help

You might want to research the glacier day cruises out of Whittier, some of which guarantee no seasickness due to the more protected waters.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,756 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July trip - Itinerary help

With your short time frame, I don't think you'll be able to get to Homer. It's quite a ways down the road...

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,311 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July trip - Itinerary help

Will you be renting one vehicle or two?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
429 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July trip - Itinerary help

I think the best way for you to plan your trip is to get some guide books and see what really interests everyone. While eight days seems like a lot when you plan out what everyone wants to do and all there is to see and do you will see that a lot of decisions will have to be made.

When you narrow down your choices get back on this board for mor help

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July trip - Itinerary help

Thanks guys! I guess I'll post back when I have a more concrete itinerary.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: July trip - Itinerary help

Here is the itinerary I came up with. Please correct me if I'm wrong on driving times. And if you know any companies or tours and restaurants to try, I'd appreciate your recommendations. Thanks!

July 11

Arrive in Anchorage

July 12

Drive to Denali (5 hrs)

Will make stops on the way

July 13

Denali national Park - shuttle to Eielson

July 14

Drive to Whittier (6+ hrs)

July 15

Kayak Blackstone Bay

Hike Prince William Sound

July 16

Drive to Seward (2hrs)

Hike exit glacier

July 17

Drive to Soldotna (2 hrs)

Salmon fishing

July 18

Drive back to Anchorage (3 hrs)

July 19

Leave Anvhorage

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: July trip - Itinerary help

Nixing Whittier. My mom doesn't want to do the kayak tour. Any other ideas?

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1 post
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: July trip - Itinerary help

There's a great dog sled place right out of Seward. It's called Seavey's IdidaRide Sled Dog Tours. I'm from Alaska and it has to be one of the funnest things I've done up there. You get to see how they prep the dogs, and get to play with puppies(!!), then they take you on a dog sled tour. You go so fast and you can tell the dogs are just having the time of their lives!!

Edited: 20 February 2014, 12:19
Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: July trip - Itinerary help

My opinion is you are not allowing enough time for Denali. As for driving times be aware that almost all of Alaska roads are two lane with no alternate routing (construction and accident delays can be a problem) and you drive to Seward will be a long day (around 350 miles).

If you wish to visit the Kenai Peninsula would suggest Homer rather than Soldotna as only another 75 miles. The return drive to ANC would be around 225 miles. Our experience on that trip is to allow the day for the trip (summer or winter).

It is unfortunate that your schedule only allows for a week. To do yourself justice you need more than that. When we travel up here, even we take more time.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,546 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: July trip - Itinerary help

Funny that k2iks says you don't have enough time for Denali. I find that is the main place you have a decent amount of time (2 nights). Four of your nine nights are single night stays. Very tiring for a group like yours.

I would spend July 11 in Anchorage, July 12 to Denali, July 13 shuttle to Eielson, July 14 to Girdwood. Plop yourselves there for two nights. July 15 Prince William Sound glacier tour (not kayak) with Major Marine or 26 Glaciers. Morning of July 16 Wildlife Conservation Center, Portage Glacier area, gold panning, etc. then drive to Seward. July 17 Exit Glacier, Sealife Center, maybe Seavey's Iditaride and fishing, July 18 drive to Anchorage, July 19 fly home.

What time on July 11 does your flight arrive and what time on July 19 does your flight depart?

I am with AKStafford that you don't have time for Homer (and I would say not for Soldotna either, unless you are hauling suitcases almost every day of your trip).

Also, with 6 adults (probably with or without the toddler, but certainly with it), you will almost certainly need two cars unless you want to be absolutely packed in with all your luggage in a very cramped minivan.

Edited: 20 February 2014, 19:02